Free tier email service for (very) occasional emails

joe_g

Hello,

I suppose the answer is no, but I thought I'd check:

Is there a decent processwire-friendly mail service for occasional transactional email (like, once a week)? Mailgun only allows to send emails to pre-validated addresses unless you pay 35 a month. The other services that has a WireMail module seemed similar, from what I can see?

thanks,

J

57 minutes ago, joe_g said:

processwire-friendly mail service

Everything that offers SMTP would fit here.

In case you don't send hundreds of mails a week you could just send it from your server, or setup a very own mail account on your hosting and send mails - with WireMailSMTP of course.

With WireMailSMTP you could use a lot of services via SMTP - even Mailgun.
Some others would be Mailjet, Sendinblue, Sendgrid and some others. Some are easier to configure than others.

I personally use Mailjet's free tier on small or personal projects. The limits are totally fine with 6,000 emails/month or 200 emails per day.
In client projects I most often stay with Mailjet but on a paid plan starting at around 15 EUR/month.

• Like 2

You can use your free Gmail account with the free module WireMailSmtp by @horst 

First make sure you have enabled 2-Step Verification on your Google account. Then create an App password (you gonna need it for WireMailSmtp). Check the screenshot below:

image.thumb.png.c763b3c0af7089e434c1afc847df8ac1.png

Next on WireMailSmtp settings make sure to add the following:

Local Hostname: yourdomain.com
SMTP Hostname: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 587
SMTP User: youremail@gmail.com
SMTP Password: the app password you created on Google account (NOT your Google password)
Use START-TLS: Checked
Select a crypto method for TLS: STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_2_CLIENT
Sender Email Address: youremail@gmail.com
Sender Name: Your Name

I tested the above few months ago and worked fine with a free Gmail account, then I bought Google Workspace so I can use my custom domain instead of @gmail.com.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

Look into Aliases in Google Mail - they should do the trick as well.
There is a nice guide about it over on ImprovMX.

Yes I know about the aliases but I don't prefer that method because:

If your recipient uses Outlook or another mail service, they might see something like, "From yourname@gmail.com on behalf of othername@otherdomain.com."

Your recipients might also see your original @gmail.com address if you:

• Set up an out of office reply
  • Create a filter with automated response
  • Have a full mailbox, and your recipient gets notified

Info taken from the Google.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 9:25 AM, bernhard said:

https://www.mailersend.com/ is also a good option and you can have a look at https://github.com/baumrock/RockMailerSend (no docs at the moment and not officially released yet)

@bernhard, thanks for the suggestion, I was also looking for a low cost (possible free) alternative to SMTP for the client who very occasionally need to send larger campagins (around 8k). MailerSend's free tier does seem to be very good. Thanks for sharing your module too, however since it does not extend WireMail, RockMailerSend can only be used for custom solutions. There's no way to send all transactional emails from Processwire via MailerSend using your solution, correct?

21 minutes ago, Jozsef said:

There's no way to send all transactional emails from Processwire via MailerSend using your solution, correct?

Not sure, I don't think so. I've added an example how to send emails to the readme. The only thing you need is a template id. The template must be created at mailersend - but the benefit is that the client can do that and you don't have to develop something on your own.

Not sure if it's possible to add attachments to mails though.