Upgrade Path from 2.0 to 2.1

jose

I was wondering if there would be a documented upgrade path when the development version is declared stable.  The reason for the question is I am developing a few sites now for customers that I will be maintaining and supporting, we chose ProcessWire and I just want to know how hard will it be to upgrade/migrate to new version.

Thanks for your time in advance.

I've developed an upgrade script that upgrades a 2.0 site to a 2.1 site. But I'm going to get 2.1 released stable (very soon) and keep the upgrade script in beta until we've run it through it's paces some more. I'm looking for people to help test the upgrade script if you are interested. But I recommend only performing the upgrade in your dev environment before any live environment. If you are creating new sites now, I would probably recommend just using 2.1 as it really is stable at this point.

What the upgrade script won't be able to do is copy all your access settings from PW 2.0 to 2.1. This is because 2.1's access system is quite a bit different. However, I don't think many have setup much with regard to access control in 2.0, so for most this won't be a consideration during upgrade. But if it is a consideration, it'll be something that you have to setup manually after the upgrade. It'll copy of your users and roles, but you'll have to reassign them to templates (rather than pages). Beyond that consideration, the intention is to make the upgrade as automated, easy and simple as possible. The upgrade script runs from your browser and tells you what it's doing step by step. All you have to do is watch it and click "next".

• 3 months later...