[SOLVED] allow users to input css code inside module configuration and sanitize value

jploch

Hey folks,

I am currently building a module where the user can input css code inside a InputfieldTextArea on the module configuration.
Normally I would just let the user insert a path to a file, but in this case I want the user to be able to insert css code.

I am outputting the value of the field like this:

<style> <?= $this->sanitizer->purify($myModule->customStyles); ?> </style>

How would you guys prevent malicious code getting saved to the database? Or is ProcessWire sanitizing the value automatically on save? (The module setting will only be available to superusers).

6 hours ago, jploch said:

How would you guys prevent malicious code getting saved to the database?

6 hours ago, jploch said:

(The module setting will only be available to superusers).

You could apply the purify sanitizer when the field value is saved by hooking InputfieldTextarea::processInput().

But looking at it another way, it isn't really possible to guard against a malicious superuser - they could destroy the site in any number of ways. Therefore you have to accept that superuser is a role for trusted users only.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Robin S said:

You could apply the purify sanitizer when the field value is saved by hooking InputfieldTextarea::processInput().

Hey @Robin S thanks for your advice! I think you are right, it's not really possible to protect against a malicious superuser account (e.g. If it got hacked). Since the code is saved as a string anyway, I don't think it would cause harm, even if there would be php or javascript code in the field right?

But I feel better to use the hook you mentioned. Here is the code, wich works nicely:

public function __construct() {
	$this->addHookBefore('InputfieldTextarea::processInput', $this, 'sanitizeValue');
}

public function sanitizeValue(HookEvent $event) {
	$input = $event->arguments(0);
	$input->customStyles = strip_tags($input->customStyles, '');
	$event->arguments(0, $input);
}
  • Like 2

• jploch changed the title to [SOLVED] allow users to input css code inside module configuration and sanitize value