ChatGPT: a reliable AI assistant for ProcessWire in the near future? Color me impressed already!

jacmaes

On 11/3/2023 at 6:32 AM, Jonathan Lahijani said:

BOOM, there's the answer with MutationObserver

ChatGPT found MutationObserver and helped me solve a similar issue, ie modifying ajax-loaded page content on a 3rd party SaaS platform 🙂 

• Like 1

I was struggling, trying permissions, searching in PW source code and the web, thought about a bug... and while taking 1 minute of pause I saw this thread in forum activity tab and thought "OK let's give a try with ChatGPT, I have no idea anyway right now".

Question:

In ProcessWire CMS, if I'm not superuser I can't search for a user with a PageReference auto-completion field, how to fix?

(I already used template access control, but for some reason I thought user access control was managed by permissions (user-view, user-admin...)).

Answer (in bold what I was looking for):

In ProcessWire CMS, the ability to search for a user with a PageReference autocompletion field may be restricted based on the user's permissions. If you are not a superuser and you are experiencing issues with searching for users, you might need to adjust the permissions for the roles assigned to your user account.

Here are some steps you can take to address the issue:

1. **Check User Roles:**
   Ensure that the roles assigned to your user account have the necessary permissions to view and search for users. You can do this by going to the "Access" tab in the ProcessWire admin and reviewing the permissions for your roles.

2. **Edit Role Permissions:**
   If you are not a superuser, make sure that the roles you are assigned to have the "page-edit" and "page-view" permissions for the user template. You can find and edit these permissions by going to Setup > Templates > Users > Access tab.

3. **Check Field Permissions:**
   Verify that the user reference field (PageReference autocompletion field) allows the roles to search and view users. You can do this by going to Setup > Fields > [Your User Reference Field] > Input tab, and checking the "Find pages" and "View pages" options for the relevant roles.

4. **Customize Autocompletion Settings:**
   If the issue persists, you may need to customize the autocompletion settings for the PageReference field. You can do this by editing the field and adjusting the "Page Autocomplete Selectable" and "Page Autocomplete Selectable Selector" options in the "Input" tab.

5. **Debugging:**
   If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider checking the ProcessWire logs for any error messages or warnings that might provide more information about the problem. You can find the logs in the admin under Setup > Logs > Markup.

Always remember to make these changes carefully and consider the security implications of granting additional permissions. If you're unsure about the specific requirements for your setup, you may want to consult the ProcessWire documentation or seek assistance from the ProcessWire community forums.

• Like 3