Code Dreams

MatthewSchenker

Greetings Everyone,

Literally... I have been having code dreams lately. In the dreams, I get some new idea and I work out the logic. Then I actually see -- and hear -- the code. Of course, it always seems so brilliant in the dream!

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

Off to bed,

Matthew

• Like 2

I actually find some of my best problem solving occurs while I sleep. I push the tough ones into the night shift and wake up and implement the solution. Now if I can figure out how many hours to bill the client for actual sleep work, I will be all set.

• Like 1

The only problem is I keep finding that I am solving problems in my sleep that I only invented in my sleep in the first place.

"Can you look at this code and work out why there is a glitch in the page?"

In my sleep I rack my brain, trying to see what the problem is and what the solution might be. When I wake, not only has the solution slipped away, but the problem doesn't seem to exist either, nor the email relating to it, or even the client.

Unfortunately, it seems the invoice will also have to remain imaginary.

Whenever I'm stumped on a particular piece of code, I usually end up having a nightmare/eureka moment with them in my dreams. It's either I get stuck in a loop, or when I'm lucky, I get an idea about the solution.

Particularly in college, I remember being chased by a transmuting binary snake while I was working on an experimental improvement on the Lempel-Ziv algorithm! It took me days to solve the problem and each night the snake would eat me whole in my dream. :'(

• Like 3

Whenever I'm stumped on a particular piece of code, I usually end up having a nightmare/eureka moment with them in my dreams. It's either I get stuck in a loop, or when I'm lucky, I get an idea about the solution.

$nightmares = $pages->get("/no/bloody/sleep/")->bad_dreams;

foreach($nightmares as $nightmare) {
   if($nightmare->solution){
    echo $nightmare->solution;
   }else{
    echo "<em>Wake up and make coffee</em>";
}

• Like 1

Greetings,

I've been playing a lot of board games with my 4-year-old daughter lately.  In my dreams last night, I got an idea for a "wireframe board game."  The board is just an open area, and there are lots of "pieces" that represent various UI elements.  You can place these pieces on the board to create a mockup.  When you got the pieces where you want them, you could then bring it to a meeting and people could play with the pieces until it was all set right.

In the dream, it seemed all but ready to be marketed.  Somehow, in my dream, the pieces were re-sizable so you could manage various layouts.  I can't remember how that was achieved!  Maybe tonight I'll get the answer.

Also, I still didn't get a name for the game.

Thanks,

Matthew

Well, lets think about this.

It has a lot of wires in it ...

It has lots of objects that you can apply processes to

It allows you to create mockups and to be able to manipulate it easily and then connect all the bits together ...

So, that is processes and wire and ...

Well, it is obvious!

Ui-Mock!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

... At my desk working... Dark in the room. I was very nearly done with the project and feeling pretty good. Then I noticed something moving along the ceiling, coming closer to me. At first, I thought it was a bit of fuzz. Then I realized it was a very large mosquito. It came right to my computer and settled on top of the screen, taunting me.

I turned back to my code.

Thanks,

Matthew