PW 3.0.207 – Core updates

ryan

This week the ProcessWire core version on the dev branch has been bumped to 3.0.207. Relative to the previous version, there are several minor issue resolutions and improvements (commit log). I also recommend this version if you are testing out the InputfieldTinyMCE module, which will likely be merged into the core near the end of the year. 

Speaking of that module, it also received updates this week with the biggest being the addition of improved lazy loading modules for the Normal (non-inline) editor. Rich text editors are one of the most heavyweight input types you can use, so not having to initialize them all during page load is a major performance benefit, especially when you've got multiple fields using them at the same time. With these new lazy-loading modes, the Normal editor has many of the benefits of the Inline editor in terms of page editor performance, but without any of the drawbacks. The new default setting is to "load editor when it becomes visible". This ensures that resources aren't spent loading editors that are hidden behind editor tabs, fieldsets or language tabs, until they are needed. The other lazy-loading option ("load editor when clicked") is the most aggressive lazy loading option. It shows a preview of the editor content but doesn't actually load TinyMCE until you click the preview to edit it. 

image.png

Lastly, I've also been working on a new module (WireSitemapXML) that generates sitemap.xml output, but in a way that I think is  more configurable than the other modules available for it. It also supports multi-language sitemaps, URL segments, various hooks and more. While I've got it in use already, I'm going to spend more time on the documentation before releasing it. That's all for this week, have a great weekend! 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

I'm really happy with InputfieldTinyMCE so far. And as threatened to in reply to an earlier core updates post, I took a stab at migrating my autocomplete module over from InputfieldCKEditor. All in all, it was quite a pleasant experience and the JS side was really straight forward. The change also involved a lot of refactoring, and in the aftermath of that there's still a good bit of house cleaning to do, but for anybody willing to toy around with it, there's an alpha release of InlineCompleteTinyMCE on GitHub.

A snapshot of InlineCompleteTinyMCEActionUsers in action:

InlineCompleteTinyMCE_1.png.dffc9129bd84dca8a2072dfa4ca36e0a.png

And the corresponding configuration in the field's "Input" tab (added to the TinyMCE config section):

InlineCompleteTinyMCE_2.thumb.png.29edc8fe3bdacf4cd8d77d37e9d9a014.png

I haven't tested it with lazy loading or the inline editor yet.

• Like 15

• 3 months later...