Recommend a Code editor with FTP, for working on template files

Crssp

I'm sure there's a topic for this someplace, but I didn't turn one up with a quick search.

So far I'm using Filezilla, and opening the files with Notepad++, and then saving the files back through Filezilla.

Very clunky as I have to right-click to open the files, then when saving it doesn't update without going back through FileZilla.

I'm on a Windows 7 machine, so Mac editors are not an option.

I'm sure there are all sorts of slick options on file editing.

There's a plugin for Notepad++ but that doesn't want to work for me, and maybe that will work.

I don't even need a local file repository at this point, as there's nothing to muck up at this point. :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

{Edit}

It looks like FileZilla, does have an option to change the double-click behavior, that will help.

It's under Edit | Settings| File lists >> Change Double-click action on files in the drop-down select view/adit :)

Still somewhat clinky-ish, little better.

Both good options, I've used Aptana I suppose it would supply an awesome lot more utilities than just being a code editor.

Wasn't sure if I wanted something that heavy yet though, giving it a look then.

Also browsing a couple forum topics for pro clues:
http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2450-whats-on-your-desktop/ (oops this one's hardware related)  ??? 

This topic dives into some good editors too: (now I find it)
http://processwire.com/talk/topic/1888-sublime-text-2-course/

Anyone tried Brackets, Adobe open-source project editor?

http://download.brackets.io/

No, but downloading right now. Sounds pretty sweet already, even with that "use at your own risk" disclaimer. Thanks for the tip! :)

For the record, I've been struggling with this same issue for ages. Aptana seemed like the perfect solution, but so far I've tried and discarded it couple of times already. It just doesn't feel comfortable, everything about it is somehow "too heavy." Not exactly surprising, since (as far as I know, though I might be completely wrong too) even the standalone version of Aptana is based on Eclipse..

Anyway, NetBeans might be worth giving a try if you want IDE features without all that fuss. I haven't used it in a while now (these days I prefer to do things server-side with Emacs and I don't really feel any need for local development) but it used to be pretty much only IDE I could stand. I've only used NetBeans with SVN, but it supports Git too.. and SFTP sync, if that's really what you want :)

This is the only reason I'm using my Macbook - There is Coda 2 (from Panic) and - in my eyes - it is the perfect solution for web developement like Processwire templates(little bit PHP, mixed with HTML and CSS).

A non-commercial solution for Windows is Aptana but I thnk it is kinda overloaded with features and slow.

Currently, I'm testing Webdrive FTP. I can mount my FTP Dir to the explorer and then every editor can use it as a normal directory.

• Like 1

Currently, I'm testing Webdrive FTP. I can mount my FTP Dir to the explorer and then every editor can use it as a normal directory.

This is exactly what I was looking for now :), in linux I use the file manager to open the server, and I work with the files in the server exactly like with local files.

Thanks Teppo, was about to download the whopping 130 mb Aptana, I'm holding off and trying Brackets also. It's only 22mb, not saying Aptana would be worth it.

Here's the latest Youtube preview.

https://youtu.be/VKitqLpJtAY

The inline live editing features look just 'too smooth' more later then.

With me it's all about a learning curve, rocking some templates is the first thing.

One big-ish caveat, no ftp, so needs an ftp syncing option, lol. oopsie.

I think I have used WInSCP since it came out, more or less.

I do like Aptana from the point of view that it has everything ... very clever syncing, local and remote views at the same time (if you want) and loads of other stuff. It is just soooo slow at times, complete with keyboard lag!

At the moment I am having an interesting relationsship with Sublime, but I might try netbeans again - I had forgotten about that, to be honest. Always ran a bit smoother than Eclipse.

@DaveP any suggestions, tips for integrating Aptana, to work with a remote Processwire setup, if that's what you use?

Yes, just set up the remote project in the Project Explorer pane (default left side) and you can work with remote files as easily as local.

With Aptana, I have always tended to create a project, set up the connection and then sync to download all the files.

Then set it so when you save it syncs automatically. That way you keep a local copy which is always a nice thing to have.

There is also a plugin for managing the database, though I only used that once ages ago.

One trick that I never got quite right is with using Workspaces. A big problem with Aptana is the background indexing and if you have too many active projects in your workspace, then the system can get really laggy.

Apparently, using workspaces for small collections of related projects helps since you are only accessing what you need. Making currently unneeded projects inactive is also worth while

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm sure there's a topic for this someplace, but I didn't turn one up with a quick search.

So far I'm using Filezilla, and opening the files with Notepad++, and then saving the files back through Filezilla.

Very clunky as I have to right-click to open the files, then when saving it doesn't update without going back through FileZilla.

I'm on a Windows 7 machine, so Mac editors are not an option.

I'm sure there are all sorts of slick options on file editing.

There's a plugin for Notepad++ but that doesn't want to work for me, and maybe that will work.

I don't even need a local file repository at this point, as there's nothing to muck up at this point. :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

{Edit}

It looks like FileZilla, does have an option to change the double-click behavior, that will help.

It's under Edit | Settings| File lists >> Change Double-click action on files in the drop-down select view/adit :)

Still somewhat clinky-ish, little better.

Holey Smokes - Crssp moved over TOO?  :) 

Mac user, I've tried Espresso, Coda (for a long time) and within the last 3 months, Sublime Text 2.

If you like keyboard shortcuts (over mousing) then Sublime Text 2 is quite the closest thing to a perfect editor I've found.

From this page you can get to this 38m video showing ST2 with a few of the 'Packages' (expand functionality) you can add. I can't recommend it enough.

Edit: It comes in Mac, Win and Linux flavours.

Edited by alanfluff
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

There is also a plugin for sublime text http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp

Just started using this because the Transmit plugin doesn't support ST3. Despite initially being put off by all the techy options, it's very powerful.

I can sync local with remote, pull down remote files and edit them. It even has filediff capability. Consider me impressed.

• Like 1

Ditto @onjegolders—I remember when I re-re-returned to try Sublime Text 2 and finally got past the "what's all the fuss about?" negative reaction and realized how wonderful it is. ST3 (the ver I am on now) plus that fab SFTP plugin (plus a few other fab plugins (of which there are lots)) is the best editing+transmit experience I have ever had. I still use Transmit for times when I want to visualize what I am doing (weird drag/drops of config files etc) but almost all my SFTP traffic is now handled inside Sublime Text with this plugin.

While a post about what plugins are good could go on for ages one I must just note quickly is called Project Manager. It makes the popup list of Projects work brilliantly. OK, will stop swooning over Sublime Text and get back to my accounts :/

• Like 2