ProcessWire 2.3 Testing

ryan

I'd like to go ahead and finalize ProcessWire 2.3 (aka 2.2.13) and get it out there as our main download next week. I think many of us have been using it for months and any major bugs have been worked out. There is always a list of things to do, but I think it would be especially good for new installations to start from 2.3. It makes sense to retire 2.2 which has several [minor] bugs in it that have since been fixed. 

If anyone has extra time over the next few days, would you mind attempting a fresh install of our 2.3 release candidate (aka 2.2.13) and letting us know how it goes? It is available for download here: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/tree/dev

I'm particularly interested to know how the new install process goes for people, as there have been several changes to the installer. 

We also need people willing to upgrade their 2.2 installs to 2.3 to make sure it goes smoothly. Upgrade your own site, but don't yet upgrade your client's mission critical site until we've received confirmation from others that all went well.

Here is the upgrade process:

1. Replace your current /wire/ directory, in it's entirety, with the new one. You probably want to backup the old one and replace it completely. I do this by renaming my old directory to something like /wire.old/, and then putting in the new one. If you do that, just remember to delete the /wire.old/ once you don't need it anymore, as it would be a security problem to leave it there. Do not FTP, SCP or RSYNC directly into your existing /wire/ directory because that will result in a monster of old and new files (since some file locations have changed).

2. Replace your existing /index.php with the new one. 

3. Replace your existing /.htaccess file with the new one. The new one comes named htaccess.txt, so you'll have to rename it to .htaccess. If you had any custom rules setup in your old htaccess file, remember to copy them to your new one. 

4. Load a page from your website in your browser. You will most likely get a Unable to complete this request error. Hit reload and it should be gone. If not, then remove these files and try again:

rm /site/assets/cache/Modules.*

If it still doesn't work, then look at the last entry in /site/assets/logs/errors.txt and post what it says. 

5. Browse your site and make sure everything is working how you expect. Login to the admin and do the same. Please report your experience here. 

6. Have a beer. 

Thanks,

Ryan

• Like 5

Hey Ryan,

Very exciting to think of 2.3 becoming the official version soon!

Over the next day or so, I will run the installation and upgrade steps you describe.  I have some test sites running ProcessWire, which are good for this.

Looking forward to what happens next.

Thanks for all your amazing work,

Matthew

• Like 2

Hi Ryan, I have an existing site, but also wanted to setup a blog profile site.

I'll try and setup a fresh install for starters, it might not be until tomorrow morning sometime that I get a chance to do that.

I have an install I could upgrade also, but...

Problem there is it will be awfully early, if I get to an upgrade to go clear through to item #6  :-X

I'm not a good daytime drinker, lol.

My current install says, this for version number at the bottom (2.2.9), that would look to be newer, but it can't be.

I've had installed for a few weeks.

• Like 1

Install - ProcessWire 2.3 dev

Host:  OSX 10.7.5

Apache Server: 2.2.22  

PHP:  5.3.14 with APC 3.19

MySQL:  5.5.25

Install success

Admin console functional. Site pages loading fine (default profile).

No other tests done.  

• Like 1

Install - ProcessWire 2.3 dev

Host:  Ubuntu server - SMP - 12.04.2 LTS

Apache Server: 2.2.22  

PHP:  5.3.10 with suhosin patch

MySQL:  5.5.29

Install success

Admin console functional. Site pages loading fine (default profile).

Added image to page , modified page content, installed optional modules.  All ok so far. 

• Like 1

jQuery 1.9 wouldn't work I think out of the box for many jQuery code in PW or modules, as it doesn't have .live(), .browser() and possibly some others. At least I know some that use live, and the admin theme main.js uses .browser() to block for IE7 browsers. Other than that I think at some point we can update and encourage module developers to check their modules and make js code 1.9 friendly.

• Like 2

Thanks for the testing JeffS. Glad to hear all is going smoothly so far. 

I would open a new thread... but don't really know how to do that and move these messages there. If I figure it out, I'll do it. :) 

I like staying on top of the latest jQuery, but the reality is they are prone to changing their API and breaking things in every major version. I think it's better to let those versions marinate for awhile in a dev branch before making them part of stable. So I'll update to 1.9 in the dev branch once we get 2.3 out there. 

• Like 2

ryan - tick the boxes next to the relevant post numbers (top-right of the posts) then in the box that appears at the bottom right select the Split option and you can create a new topic with those posts :)

I've never understood why now the jQuery folks have such a solid product that they insist on changing things with no backward compatibility. Sure, it's only a few changes each time, but it causes some work checking everything works as expected across however many sites.

• Like 2

Greetings,

I made a profile from a version 2.2.9 site I'm developing, re-installed it as a test site, then upgraded it to 2.3.

So far, have not noticed any problems.

I will test a fresh installation soon.  But I think if the upgrade works we must be in good shape (I assume upgrades are the more challenging scenario).

I really appreciate the way this upgrade is being handled:

- Paying careful attention to detail

- Communicating with the community

- Involving everyone in the process

Looking good!!!

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 1

I am having one little problem, which may be unrelated, to do with the Thumbnails module. For me uploading images breaks with 2.2.13

See here: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/643-release-thumbnails/page-8#entry27367

Just in case something has changed that might affect other modules too...

Got same issue her on my local install with 2.2.13

The Thumbnails/CropImages module seems to be working here. For those that it's not working for, can you describe further about what's not working and how to reproduce? Are you seeing any JS errors or anything like that? 

We are trying to find out in the Thumbnails thread. It's not working when setting up a cropimages and not saving the field afterwards. The default settings doesn't get recognized (and saved in db). Only after saving the field again it starts working again. At least for me.