Migrate PW website to Wordpress?

orchardheightsdental

I'll try to spare you from the, "Why would you want to [...]" question, as there are any various reasons why someone would want/need to migrate one way or another.

Because ProcessWire is a Content Management Framework that helps a developer create a Content Management System, it's so varied in how it could be created that it might not be a simple export and re-import. Custom tools might need to be built -- or you might be lucky if the site is simple enough, you could potentially take advantage of something like the Import/Export modules, but those are often purpose-built for singular purposes as well.

With few exceptions, all content should be in the template files and in the database. With some properly crafted SQL queries, you could get the data that you need. You could then rearrange those SQL queries as an insert into WordPress -- or convert it into a format that WordPress has an importer for.

If this is your website though, it looks fairly custom with page partials used to build out the full page. If you're not a developer, you might need the direct help of a developer.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, BrendonKoz said:

I'll try to spare you from the, "Why would you want to [...]" question, as there are any various reasons why someone would want/need to migrate one way or another.

Because ProcessWire is a Content Management Framework that helps a developer create a Content Management System, it's so varied in how it could be created that it might not be a simple export and re-import. Custom tools might need to be built -- or you might be lucky if the site is simple enough, you could potentially take advantage of something like the Import/Export modules, but those are often purpose-built for singular purposes as well.

With few exceptions, all content should be in the template files and in the database. With some properly crafted SQL queries, you could get the data that you need. You could then rearrange those SQL queries as an insert into WordPress -- or convert it into a format that WordPress has an importer for.

If this is your website though, it looks fairly custom with page partials used to build out the full page. If you're not a developer, you might need the direct help of a developer.

Oh man, that helps SO much! Thanks for taking the time to respond, Brendon :) I really appreciate it

11 hours ago, BrendonKoz said:

That's of course true, but it would still be interesting to hear. For example if the reason is that the ProcessWire page is slow and a WordPress site would be faster, than that would be a wrong assumption and making the ProcessWire site faster would be maybe two hours of work while migrating the site to WordPress would easily be multitude of that...

B6u4I5W.png

23.4MB for the homepage is really not a good value and just by optimising your slider images (which should be as easy as using $img->maxSize(...)->url instead of just outputting the image in its original resolution via $img->url what your site is doing) you are able to speed up the site significantly.

Then purchase and install ProCache and your site is insanely fast. That might be all you need. Because I think the design is nice and it also looks nice on mobile. So why throw that in the bin?

If there are other reasons then these optimisations might be irrelevant of course. So it would be nice to hear your reasons ?  

• Like 4

You can also use the core module `ProcessPagesExportImport` to obtain a JSON config of the export, and then from wordpress, you can just make a script to create the pages you want.

A simple google search give `plugins/json-content-importer` as a result, by the title it seem it can do the job by mapping field and value, but in reality, I do not have damn clue.

Edited by flydev ??
google search ex.
  • Like 2

I can only follow up on what I know of wordpress - 'out of the box' of what you are buying of course. But processwire has kept me going and going into depths of possibilities, freedom of what I need and want to do with a website, and so much more beyond that. I like the learning curve and anything involved in PW. I never did that with WP. 

I personally do not use Wordpress anymore because of the lack of support, the limits of what I need, and the ease of what I have with PW. But for whatever reason you desire to go to WP - I wish you the best of what you can get out of it and hope you succeed. 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 2:06 AM, bernhard said:

That's of course true, but it would still be interesting to hear. For example if the reason is that the ProcessWire page is slow and a WordPress site would be faster, than that would be a wrong assumption and making the ProcessWire site faster would be maybe two hours of work while migrating the site to WordPress would easily be multitude of that...

B6u4I5W.png

23.4MB for the homepage is really not a good value and just by optimising your slider images (which should be as easy as using $img->maxSize(...)->url instead of just outputting the image in its original resolution via $img->url what your site is doing) you are able to speed up the site significantly.

Then purchase and install ProCache and your site is insanely fast. That might be all you need. Because I think the design is nice and it also looks nice on mobile. So why throw that in the bin?

If there are other reasons then these optimisations might be irrelevant of course. So it would be nice to hear your reasons ?  

I'm a desginer looking to make changes to the site and I know absolutely nothing about ProcessWire... that's the basic reason behind the question ?

On 9/17/2022 at 2:07 AM, flydev ?? said:

You can also use the core module `ProcessPagesExportImport` to obtain a JSON config of the export, and then from wordpress, you can just make a script to create the pages you want.

A simple google search give `plugins/json-content-importer` as a result, by the title it seem it can do the job by mapping field and value, but in reality, I do not have damn clue.

Hmm... I don't see the `ProcessPagesExportImport` option in the core module.. ?

31 minutes ago, orchardheightsdental said:

I'm definitely not a developer

If you are a designer not a developer, then I would suggest trying to move a site from one CMS to another is a bit of an ask. If you are happy with the structure and just want to modify content, then you should be able to do that in ProcessWire without any particular technical or coding skills. If you want a new look and feel and don’t want to use a developer, then maybe start from scratch in WP, just copy and paste what content you need. That assumes that you are proficient in WP. I gave up on WP because, while it looks simple, the complexity goes up exponentially the more you try to do. 

• Like 5