ProcessWire compared to ...

wbmnfktr

Here I am again... talking about ProcessWire while looking at other CMS...

Has anyone of you tried?

While their feature lists look awesome right from the start, the backends look kind of basic - compared to what we can do in ProcessWire, while extending those seem like kind of a bit of work. No matter what.

Yet... there are features we don't have in ProcessWire like default Rest API, GraphQL, and such. (Yeah... I talked about it a lot in the past.)

Just asking for your feedback you have.
Maybe insights for more details.

So... anyone any insights about those?

I will try those mentioned CMSs in the next weeks and therefore hopefully can write more about those compared to ProcessWire.

If you ever used another CMS like those mentioned above or similar, let's talk about it. I'd like to hear more about it.

(Don't worry... ProcessWire is still my absolute favourite CMS I ever used and use till today.)

Personal opinion:

I think if I were to make a decision on what I see about Payload, I'd probably (personally) opt for Statamic for two reasons: I'm more familiar with PHP, and since it's a file based CMS and can be run directly from a Git repository, it makes things simpler (even if the installation is, IMHO, ridiculously bloated: thanks Laravel). I see some level of inspiration in it by Statamic, Kirby, and maybe Wagtail, but obviously with its own take on it all.

For Directus: I don't personally see that as a CMS - or at least CMS-first option. If I remember correctly (I might not), it was originally advertised as a visual data query builder, enabling the ability to connect to an absurdly large amount of disparate datastore solutions, and then (visually) build queries to concoct interfaces and/or reports related to that data. Can you build a CMS with it? Apparently so! Should you build a CMS with it? I suppose that depends on exactly what it offers. I haven't personally tried it, even though I've kept my eye on it in case I had a project that seemed to fit. So far I (unfortunately) haven't. (I kind of want to play with it. It looks ridiculously powerful.)

All that said, I haven't tried either, so my involvement isn't exactly what you were hoping for. As far as RestAPI and GraphQL, are the related modules insufficient? (I know you said default modules, so my curiosity is only adjacently related.)

I definitely enjoy comparing and re-evaluating tools though, so appreciate this hashed, and rehashed, and rehashed topic! ?

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 4:14 AM, wbmnfktr said:

Thank you for letting me know that they exist. I'm not even going to test them ?

More seriously, the only thing I personnaly "miss" it's an official SomethingBidule_API core module maintained by @ryan . In the meantime, @Sebi is doing a great job, we just need people who want more functionalities, or rather something "more" solid, to do pull-requests.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flydev ?? said:

More seriously, the only thing I personnaly "miss" it's an official SomethingBidule_API core module maintained by @ryan .

As I've never had that need could you give some examples where you missed that feature? What could one build when having it? How would the workflows be then and how would they be now... Just to get an idea ? 

• Like 1

I will take the time to answer your question a bit later @bernhard with some real example I use at work. But to get a general idea, when you go on the AppStore or GoolePlay, every app you see need to "discuss" with an (generally "Rest") API.

Obviously there are many constraints to take into account when choosing the backend that will provide the API. For example, at work, I have servers that have to support quite heavy loads and that are written in Pascal. You can take a look there: https://synopse.info/files/html/Synopse mORMot Framework SAD 1.18.html#SOURCE  (⚠️ it can hurt your head for the day ?) and read the general purpose and concept.
I also have three ProcessWire backends (that need to be merged) that serve more user-oriented needs, such as apps delivered to customers or our technical maintenance group.

• Like 3

Look at this example. Its made with the old version of RestAPI first made by @thomasaull years ago.

To get the context, you can navigate to https://kingspark.fr and https://valideur.mykingspark.fr . I am speaking about a system which give the possibility to some of our client use their mobile or a barcode scanner device to give "free of charge parking" of their customer. Its composed with custom hardware, software and devices or mobile apps (you see it on GooglePlay).

Image #1: List of Parkings    //    Image #2: The custom made SAGAS Terminal   //   Image 3: A configured User / Device available for registration and use.

parks.thumb.png.a9b585522ca51419a618550cb4615b43.pngterminal-sagas.jpg.e71b81ea26d7b2a25ab34703f606ae43.jpgavailable-valideur.thumb.png.c804b73858cee01371ded71c341c0261.png

On the first picture, you can see a list of "Parkings", and some can have the "Valideur" functionality. We can configure attached devices and some users with specific role to get access for registration.

And then, imagine the following. A customer land on the parking, grab a ticket and go to their rendezvous At the end, the guy in the office use his "Barcode Scanner" to "validate" the ticket of the customer; This mean that the customer will not pay anything when landing on the terminal to exit the parking, and when he will present the ticket on the barcode-reader installed on the terminal (the "black hole" you can see on the center in the picture), it will be recognized by another software and thought a call on ProcessWire Rest API backend. 

I made you two screencasts, the first is the software which once installed and registered, get the quota (number of validation available) from the user assigned to the license-code, and the second is my mobile which get notification sent from ProcessWire (by this module) from a monitoring system to get real-time information on registration.

If you have any question, do not hesitate. There a more example, but you should get the whole idea ? 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Another example, clients receipts generated by the terminal are sent on real time to the "receipt app" which can be seen there: https://facture.kingspark.fr/

You can see something more than ~4M pages.

receipt-1.png.dd4b2f81a492f5b23be8bb979bc29dc5.png

This following example, is a dashboard for accouting things, a database of 10gb and more than 11M pages:

db.png.e42dd6974fb9bc5d71287f759ad7b590.png

dashbord.thumb.png.9d9470365a4385e96d36aac18535c491.png

(traduced by on-browser-google-trad)

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...