Select Fieldtype - No zero index?

BrendonKoz

The default IDs created for a Select Fieldtype seem to start from the numerical digit of 1. However, we're supposed to be able to define our own custom id and title values. In my case, I was trying to assign a value of zero as the ID assigned to the first title so that sort order could be properly maintained (floors of a building, where "ground" = 0).

From my tests, with the standard Select Fieldtype, the ID is redefined automatically as the largest numerical value (ex: 0:ground, 1:floor 1, 2:floor 2, 3:floor 3 - ID for "ground" becomes 4). For the Combo field's internal value of a Select, its ID value ends up becoming null.

I couldn't find if this is a documented and known limitation anywhere and am wondering if I'm just doing something silly. Trying to force the ID back to 0 will prompt the user to delete the associated entry.

image.png.df961df30adf0e16c6a466fa954eb411.png

After trying to update the ID for "ground" to a numeric value of zero:

image.thumb.png.6fb5b1484acfcf9b841333546bfec561.png

Hi @Robin S, and thank you for the reply! That's a good workaround. I was too focused on the oddity to even consider that. That said, in your opinion, do you think it is fairly safe to say that the limitation exists? I don't know if it's a bug, per se, or just a limitation -- but unless my attempts to search for "zero" in the forums was just too broad, I couldn't find anything that mentioned it. Do you think it should be submitted as a bug, or as a documentation update request? (I'm thinking the latter is simpler.)

EDIT: Actually, it seems that the ProFields Combo doesn't support the x=y|z format, only x=y. That'd be a different forum though so since it's related I will followup there. For now I'll have to adjust my IDs to start from 1, and make sure to remember this when using it as output.