I am amazed (once again) by PW

Martinus

With the ease of Processwire in my hands I feel I can almost do anything to make the website of my dreams ? It's actually getting easier by the day to just not rushing into things and start to think about structure first. Now I am focused what I want to display, later on how to make it look. But there are still some things I do not find with ease on the PW docs. For example, possibilities for sort. By mistake I found out sort=-title (minus sign), is actually sorting on title from Z to A. Another thing is, the difference between Finding and Getting pages it beyond me. Could not found it, did not get it ?

Right now, I am developing a website as affiliate. This means I display product redirecting to certain sellers. But my children have a large part in it: they enhance the look, improve images, test things, and give feedback.

My steps to a professional website so far:

1. Getting to know Processwire, so much information to grab. I now know, at install, the code on the pages are examples, not mandatory!
  2. Structure files in the root of the website first. Then templates, and pages - according to my idea (what is logic and what is not handy in my situation.
  3. Find a template to use with ease: I have found a great free HTML bootstrap 5 template that I use right now. 
  4. Try behavior design: what would you do on this website you are looking at right now?
  5. Take regular breaks, don't try to push things in a limit time, do not make it difficult.

But the main thing is: Processwire is so much fun to develop websites (no joke) 10+ for PW.

Enjoy

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Martinus said:

By mistake I found out sort=-title (minus sign), is actually sorting on title from Z to A.

This is in the selector docs, right were you would expect it ? Granted, the page is pretty long and cluttered when you’re just scrolling through, but it’s great for CTRL+F’ing and the table of contents at the top is very helpful.

17 minutes ago, Martinus said:

Another thing is, the difference between Finding and Getting pages it beyond me.

Mostly “find“ means “I have some criteria, give me any pages that match it” (only those the user may view, by default). “Get” means “I know exactly which page I want, give it to me”. Get gives you one specific page, Find gives you multiple. There is also pages()->findOne() if you only want a single page – the difference here is that this will check if you have access first, while pages()->get() will always give it to you if it exists, even if it’s unpublished or hidden.

Anyway, rock on! I’m sure you will be enjoying PW for years to come ?

• Like 6