Is this good use for fields?

Martinus

Hi there,

I try to setup product pages. 

• The main goal is to have an index list much like Skyscrapers. But there should also be an index of products by Vendor, or by Seller.
  • Do I use different pages with one template?
  • Each product listed opens by clicking the title on these index lists and should be using the same template.
  • Fields displayed: Vendor, Seller, Price and Action. I made price the integer type where Blank and 0 are equivalent. But how about displaying 100,90 ?
  • The Action field will have a value such as: Promo, or Featured, or New (How to do that?)

Hope to hear from you.

3 hours ago, Martinus said:

The main goal is to have an index list much like Skyscrapers. But there should also be an index of products by Vendor, or by Seller.

Details/data like vendor, seller, brand or similar could be set as a reference (page reference field).
That way your data is super clean and easy to maintain (imagine a seller changes its name and you have to change it 100s of pages compared to one page when using references. This way you can also create individual pages or list for all those data-types - like a list of all brands, sellers, whatever you could imagine.

Do I use different pages with one template?

I would create templates for whatever makes sense. Products get the product template, maybe even create different templates for different product types, like books, toys, movies. It depends a bit on what's actually existing in terms of products. Same with other templates. Maybe vendor and sellers are identical with the same details, so you could re-use that template but I'd personally would create separate ones just to have it easier with selectors later on. So you can right away look for vendors and sellers just by template name.

Each product listed opens by clicking the title on these index lists and should be using the same template.

That's in the frontend I guess. That's easy. You decide which part is a link, what data is shown and so on. In terms of template... the same. You decide which template is used at what point. 

Fields displayed: Vendor, Seller, Price and Action. I made price the integer type where Blank and 0 are equivalent. But how about displaying 100,90 ?

What you are looking for is a float decimal field. You can choose this option while creating a field.

The Action field will have a value such as: Promo, or Featured, or New (How to do that?)

What's the difference between promo and featured? Is there a voucher available when it's a promo? Either way it might be able to just use a checkbox. But that means you have to manually update all products that aren't a promo/feature anymore. The definition of new could be a checkbox as well or you use the created and/or modified date of a product page.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wbmnfktr said:

What you are looking for is a float field. You can choose this option while creating a field.

Do you mean decimal field? Float is not the right field for prices ? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DaveP said:
  • The Action field will have a value such as: Promo, or Featured, or New (How to do that?)

Check out the Options Fieldtype.

Sometimes I find a page ref field is better than an Options field - easier to add/change. It depends whether this is something that needs to be flexible or not.

• Like 1

I have found the setting for Page Reference Field. I am curious about the multiple page array vs single page:

My Vendor can be Vendor A, Vendor B, Vendor C, and so on. This can only be seen on the home page where it lists all products.
If I view page Vendor A, then I only have products to list from that Vendor A.

Should I choose Multiple Page Array anyway?

ps. I could not find a type Decimal Field. 

11 minutes ago, Martinus said:

Should I choose Multiple Page Array anyway?

Only if a product can have multiple vendors ? 

So probably not… ? 

Just have a Look in modules-> Core -> install (available since PW Version 3.0.184) 

11 minutes ago, Martinus said:

ps. I could not find a type Decimal Field

• Like 1