ProcessWire.rocks! My youtube channel ?

bernhard

I'll share my youtube videos in this thread and if you have questions this is the place to ask. You can also subscribe to this thread to get notified when I post new videos ? 

Here is the link to my channel: baumrock.com/youtube

---

Hey! I've just published my very first ProcessWire video. It's about RockFrontend: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/27417-rockfrontend-??-take-your-processwire-frontend-development-to-the-next-level/#comment-225666

Here is the video:

What do you think? Do you understand what I'm trying to explain (despite the many ääähms und öööhms...)? ? 

What about the length?? I really didn't plan do get to 40mins... Did anybody even watch it till the end? ?

Would it be easier to follow when having a small thumbnail in the bottom corner when working on the code? Or better without?

Is it worth the effort of creating a video or would a readme be just as good? ? 

Any tips for better sound/lighting? I'm not really knowing what I do, so any ideas for improvements are very welcome ? 

Better with or without background music? So many questions... So much to learn... ? 

But it's fun and I'm a bit proud ?

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Well done on your first video! I can certainly appreciate the time that's gone into it, and has better quality than some others I've seen.

I didn't watch all of it to the end (sorry) but I did feel that I got a good introduction to RockFrontend, and knew that if I wanted to fully utilise it on a project, I could watch it all to get a better idea of how to integrate it.

Sometimes videos are great for showing how to use something in the context it's meant to, and to follow along all the steps; but I don't think videos are a complete replacement for READMEs or text-based documentation.

I usually prefer shorter and more specific videos, rather than long ones covering a wider range of steps. As an example, I've recently watched a few videos on the BugBytes channel and feel they're about the right length and style (for me!), and they're usually 15-30 minutes.

I don't have any advice on lighting or music, but the sound seems fine and clear to me ? 

• Thanks 1

Great video Bernhard!  As always, very informative.  I watched to the end.

The only thing I would suggest is to bump up your font size a little bit more in your code editor while recording.

In general, I prefer to not have background music in coding videos when the person is talking.

Looking forward to any other future videos you publish.

• Thanks 1

Thx everyone!! ? 

9 minutes ago, MarkE said:

I would appreciate a separate guide to the API that one can dip into.

What do you mean?

9 hours ago, gmclelland said:

The only thing I would suggest is to bump up your font size a little bit more in your code editor while recording.

Ah, thx, that's a good idea! I'll try to think of that in the next video ? 

9 hours ago, gmclelland said:

In general, I prefer to not have background music in coding videos when the person is talking.

Yeah I have the same feeling.

14 hours ago, Craig said:

Sometimes videos are great for showing how to use something in the context it's meant to, and to follow along all the steps; but I don't think videos are a complete replacement for READMEs or text-based documentation.

Yeah, I agree, thx for the input!

------------

What do you guys think of the forwarded sections with 200/300% speed? Is that a good solution?

1 hour ago, bernhard said:
1 hour ago, MarkE said:

I would appreciate a separate guide to the API that one can dip into.

What do you mean?

I mean a summary of the functions and methods, including description of the arguments / options, what the method does / returns and any other notes regarding usage.

Either a bit like the main PW API ref or what I did for my FieldtypeMeasurement module (not that I'm holding that up as a great example).

Similar comment applies to RockMigrations ? 

Sorry, I don't understand... There's plenty minutes of video for the render() method and I'm also showing renderIf() and renderLayout(). And I show how to use typehints to get docs directly into your IDE.

What is missing?

WXRdsL8.png

36 minutes ago, MarkE said:

Similar comment applies to RockMigrations ?

Again: Typehints ? It's easy to document all methods as good as I can in code, but it's impossible to write docs for every single method and even more impossible to add a video for every method...

1fvU2bU.png

But RockMigrations is definitely a good candidate for a next video ? 

Does that help? Or are you meaning something Else?

I guess this is largely a matter of personal preference. My personal preference is for a written description that can be accessed other than just while coding. This means that one can get an at-a-glance overview and dip in for more detail, without having downloaded the module and fired up the IDE. Call me sad, but I sometimes read this stuff sat in an armchair, not at the workstation ?. I gave the example above of the readme for FieldtypeMeasurement. Perhaps the ideal approach is to have all the documentation in PHPDoc. This is pretty much the approach of PW, so that then the help documentation (API ref) can be generated automatically from the code. If that approach is chosen, then a bit more explanation in the PHPDocs would be helpful. For example, the PHPDoc for alfred is 

/**
   * ALFRED - A Lovely FRontend EDitor
   * @return string
   */

There is no description of the options and their defaults (although these can be seen by inspecting the code). PW PHPDocs tend to include option descriptions. See $pages->find for a (very full) example

/**
	 * Given a Selector string, return the Page objects that match in a PageArray.
	 * - This is one of the most commonly used API methods in ProcessWire. 
	 * - If you only need to find one page, use the `Pages::get()` or `Pages::findOne()` method instead (and note the difference). 
	 * - If you need to find a huge quantity of pages (like thousands) without limit or pagination, look at the `Pages::findMany()` method. 
	 * ~~~~~
	 * // Find all pages using template "building" with 25 or more floors
	 * $skyscrapers = $pages->find("template=building, floors>=25");
	 * ~~~~~
	 * #pw-group-retrieval
	 * @param string|int|array|Selectors $selector Specify selector (standard usage), but can also accept page ID or array of page IDs.
	 * @param array|string $options One or more options that can modify certain behaviors. May be associative array or "key=value" selector string.
	 *  - `findOne` (bool): Apply optimizations for finding a single page (default=false).
	 *  - `findAll` (bool): Find all pages with no exclusions, same as "include=all" option (default=false). 
	 *  - `findIDs` (bool|int): 1 to get array of page IDs, true to return verbose array, 2 to return verbose array with all cols in 3.0.153+. (default=false).
	 *  - `getTotal` (bool): Whether to set returning PageArray's "total" property (default=true, except when findOne=true).
	 *  - `loadPages` (bool): Whether to populate the returned PageArray with found pages (default=true). 
	 *	   The only reason why you'd want to change this to false would be if you only needed the count details from 
	 *	   the PageArray: getTotal(), getStart(), getLimit, etc. This is intended as an optimization for $pages->count().
	 * 	   Does not apply if $selector argument is an array. 
	 *  - `cache` (bool): Allow caching of selectors and loaded pages? (default=true). Also sets loadOptions[cache].
	 *  - `allowCustom` (boolean): Allow use of _custom="another selector" in given $selector? For specific uses. (default=false)
	 *  - `caller` (string): Optional name of calling function, for debugging purposes, i.e. "pages.count" (default=blank).
	 *  - `include` (string): Optional inclusion mode of 'hidden', 'unpublished' or 'all'. (default=none). Typically you would specify this 
	 *     directly in the selector string, so the option is mainly useful if your first argument is not a string. 
	 *  - `stopBeforeID` (int): Stop loading pages once page matching this ID is found (default=0).
	 *  - `startAfterID` (int): Start loading pages once page matching this ID is found (default=0). 
	 *  - `lazy` (bool): Specify true to force lazy loading. This is the same as using the Pages::findMany() method (default=false).
	 *  - `loadOptions` (array): Optional associative array of options to pass to getById() load options.
	 * @return PageArray|array PageArray of that matched the given selector, or array of page IDs (if using findIDs option).
	 * Non-visible pages are excluded unless an "include=x" mode is specified in the selector
	 * (where "x" is "hidden", "unpublished" or "all"). If "all" is specified, then non-accessible
	 * pages (via access control) can also be included.
	 * @see Pages::findOne(), Pages::findMany(), Pages::get()
	 */

Your IDE should also have an outline view that is built for this purpose:

I use PHPStorm, not VSCode. It has a structure view similar to VSCode's outline. However, that just lists the method names etc. - I assume VSCode is similar* - so you need to go to the actual code to get the PHPDoc. In any case, you do need to be at the workstation and to have downloaded the module to see this.

As I said, I appreciate that this is a personal thing, so please don't take it as a criticism, but you did ask whether a readme would be just as good, to which my answer is 

• The video is very useful to give an introduction, but is longer than it would take to view a readme. Ideally there would be both, but the readme would be more complete, but less wordy (as described above).

*PS I downloaded VSCode and I see that the outline does give variables as a drop-down, but not PHPDoc. Perhaps I should investigate it a bit more...

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 12:36 PM, bernhard said:

What do you think? Do you understand what I'm trying to explain (despite the many ääähms und öööhms...)? ? 

Perfectly understandable! 

Is it worth the effort of creating a video or would a readme be just as good? ? 

I have learned the bad way (writing docs that no one reads lol) that some people just prefer videos! So I think it's a really good resources despite the  effort it requires! They give so much information that might be taken for granted in a text documents. So rather than one or the other I think both tackle different "moments" throughout a person's learning process and also preferences. 

Better with or without background music? So many questions... So much to learn... ? 

I prefer without music, but that's just a preference I guess??

But it's fun and I'm a bit proud ?

It is a REALLY great video!! I skipped a few parts, but watched around 50% of it, will watch it fully later. Not sure if you have previous experience recording/editing etc, but nonetheless this video is RockSolid (...?)! 

Also the audio is really good! Not an expert myself, but no noise or anything distracting on this end. I guess each topic on video production is a rabbit hole!

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, MarkE said:

In any case, you do need to be at the workstation and to have downloaded the module to see this.

The video is very useful to give an introduction, but is longer than it would take to view a readme. Ideally there would be both, but the readme would be more complete, but less wordy (as described above).

My personal preference is for a written description that can be accessed other than just while coding. This means that one can get an at-a-glance overview and dip in for more detail, without having downloaded the module and fired up the IDE.

Hey @MarkE that are good points, thank you very much ? 

Ideally I'd like to have a video to showcase the module and give a quick idea what it does and how it looks and feels like. And for the details I'd have the readme or in-depth-videos. That would mean the videos would get shorter (max 10minutes) and we'd also get a good overview in the readme.

What I'm at the moment struggling a lot is to keep my readmes readable. I'm always having lot's of things to say but I feel it's very hard to find a good way to structure its content ? Any tips are welcome!

Next try will be RockMigrations I guess ? Or maybe a video about hooks. Or one about module development... Let's see ? 

On 8/5/2022 at 6:26 PM, elabx said:

So rather than one or the other I think both tackle different "moments" throughout a person's learning process and also preferences. 

Yeah that fits into what I said above ? 

On 8/5/2022 at 6:26 PM, elabx said:

It is a REALLY great video!! I skipped a few parts, but watched around 50% of it, will watch it fully later. Not sure if you have previous experience recording/editing etc, but nonetheless this video is RockSolid (...?)! 

Also the audio is really good! Not an expert myself, but no noise or anything distracting on this end. I guess each topic on video production is a rabbit hole!

Thx ? I've done some videos over the last 20 years, so I was not totally blank - but almost ? There are also lots of helpful videos about everything you need and I find that a great way to learn. That's one of the biggest motivations for me doing videos about ProcessWire ? The video has been edited using Davinci Resolve - unbelievable that this software is free!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think that some of your questions is just a matter of taste from every dev. Throwing my tastes below.

What do you think? Do you understand what I'm trying to explain (despite the many ääähms und öööhms...)?

I am personnaly not used to speak english with other people, and that's the most "complicated" thing to me when watching youtube video, anyway your accent is very good - I understand everything ??

What about the length?? I really didn't plan do get to 40mins... Did anybody even watch it till the end?

It doesn't matter, everything need to be explained and you did very well. Taking time for learning is just required. (watched till the end last saturday with a coffee).

Would it be easier to follow when having a small thumbnail in the bottom corner when working on the code? Or better without?

Put this on the right-bottom corner, absolutely !

Is it worth the effort of creating a video or would a readme be just as good?

Both, make the video after writing the readme ?. I always end up on the video, after reading a readme, and if the readme only contain the link of the video, I feel very sad.

Any tips for better sound/lighting? I'm not really knowing what I do, so any ideas for improvements are very welcome

Perhaps the sound of the voice should be a little higher pitched.

Better with or without background music? So many questions... So much to learn...

No music for cencentration ! Or in the intro/Outro only ! ?

But it's fun and I'm a bit proud 

You can be proud, thanks for it ??

On 8/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, Spinbox said:

Awesome ?

I'm looking forward for a video about RockMigrations!

Oh yes ! 

• Thanks 1

Hey @flydev ?? thank you very much ? I'll try to put the feedback into the next video!

Regarding the sound: Does anybody know how to find the right level? Are there some hard numbers one can use? I have just done that by best guess with my usual speaker settings...

Great video @bernhard, RockFrontend looks really handy and I will try it for sure on my next projects.
Nice little funny touches on the video too, also your pace fits perfectly with the way I like to learn, not too slow and straight to the point in a concise but practical way.

??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 6:35 PM, bernhard said:

Do you have input what you would like to see in such a video?

It's probably me but I have a hard time to understand everything from the readme. I'm not sure how to start converting from the 'standard' way of adding stuff via admin interface to rockmigrations. Perhaps a simple workflow from adding a template with fields to actually pushing it to production? Things to consider when using rockmigrations.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 4:33 AM, gmclelland said:

Do you think it is better on the latest video? 

I didn't want to make it bigger... it feels so... strange ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• bernhard changed the title to ProcessWire.rocks! My youtube channel 😎