Live, Collaborative Editing

netcarver

Hey folks, just found etherpad lite and I'm quite liking what I'm seeing. It's a live document collaboration tool and Mozilla has a server up and running where you can start public or 'team' documents you want to work on with others. I've just started one here to play with and invite you to join in and try it out.

I wonder if this might be a way that we, as a community, might be able to work on documents for the wiki or something? Anyway, give it a try and see what you think.

• Like 5

Interestingly, I was writing a script today with a client using Google docs, er, Drive.

It was a bit of a fight editing exactly the same text at exactly the same time, but rather fun too!

We ended up adding a skype connection so we could yell "stop doing that!" at each other.

• Like 1

Are you proposing rolling this editor setup into a Processwire collaborative module or something.

Editing a Processwire page with something like that would make for some awesome app-like experience idea starters!

Great find!

-fanboy

• Like 2

Are you proposing rolling this editor setup into a Processwire collaborative module or something.

Taking a look at similar module for Drupal 7, this doesn't seem too complicated. You'd need new inputfield for the use of textarea fieldtype - or perhaps new fieldtype extending textarea - which would instantiate Etherpad on the fly. That field would have an option for pad ID and you'd have to create author ID on the fly (like that Drupal module is doing).. or alternatively you could only allow editing these fields for users with author ID in their user info.

IMHO real world use cases for a field like this would be somewhat limited because of certain security issues. Sounds pretty fun, though, and very much doable.. anyone? ;)

• 8 months later...

hi,

Its an interesting tool for collaboration. You can also take a look at the proofhub as it allows to collaborate with team and clients for projects. I am using it myself and liked its proofing tool and chat section.

Edited by diogo
removed link. All 4 posts from jTommy in the forum linked to the same site or referred it. Flagged as spammer