A Fieldset... with fields? [found]

Has anyone thought of the idea of a Fieldset where you can select the inner fields like you do on a repeater, but in the fieldset itself instead of the page template? This would be super useful for standardised reusable groups of fields, or in my case, content block building.

EDIT: Well, that's basically the Combo ProField https://processwire.com/store/pro-fields/combo/ - Time to pay up ?

• heldercervantes changed the title to A Fieldset... with fields? [found]
54 minutes ago, heldercervantes said:

for standardised reusable groups of fields, or in my case, content block building.

Are you talking about a page builder? Then I guess FieldsetPage will not work for you... Or what do you mean exactly with "standardised reusable groups of fields"?

24 minutes ago, bernhard said:

Are you talking about a page builder? Then I guess FieldsetPage will not work for you... Or what do you mean exactly with "standardised reusable groups of fields"?

By "standardised reusable groups of fields" I mean something like what's described in the Combo ProField.

FieldsetPage works nice, or at least improves my current solution, which goes something like this:

image.thumb.png.2c77ab3f21bf9c8a4e313a9ec1afa8ab.png

So basically I'm using a repeater, a block type selector and a bunch of fields (this screenshot is from my last project).

The block type selector is a custom module I made based on FieldtypeSelectFile. I just added a way of assigning thumbnails to illustrate what php file you're selecting.

This works pretty well, but something that's a pain in the ass is that I have to dump all fields that every content block may use in the same repeater, and then for each of them, make visibility depend on the block type's value. Also, I have to order the fields and use names that work on any block type that uses them, which becomes a bit of a puzzle sometimes.

With the FieldsetPage, I at least have things more organised, and I can make adjustments like having fields sorted as it makes more sense for each content block, override titles and descriptions and whatnot. I'm liking this approach. On a first glance only the required fields are still a bit weird to set up, but it's a nice improvement from my previous solution.

• Like 1