Error: Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Connection refused (in /wire/core/WireDatabasePDO.php line 467)

wishbone

I copied an install from local to remote. I just copied all the files, and of course imported the database.

Checked the database connection details in config.php ten times over.

Can't connect to the database.

That is a classic error message that I get all the time: The Database connection cant be established. Mostly because I forgot one of the things:

- Do you have a variable in your config to switch between two development environments (local/live)? So that you are still trying to use your local database settings on your live site?
- Do you already have a working PW installation on the remote server? Try checking the config values against the config that refuses the connection

• Like 2

thank you!! when I understood it's not a matter of the pw-install, I searched again - and I don't believe how easy it was: the database name was casus sensitive. I had the prefix in capitals: DB...

how many hours!

learnt also that it's ok to just copy all the files from local to remote without new install

thx again

• Like 1

Most of the time its the smallest things that cause the biggest problems when going "live" with a site ?

9 minutes ago, wishbone said:

thank you!! when I understood it's not a matter of the pw-install, I searched again - and I don't believe how easy it was: the database name was casus sensitive. I had the prefix in capitals: DB...

how many hours!

learnt also that it's ok to just copy all the files from local to remote without new install

thx again

That is the usual way I do it (and I think most of developers do):

1. Export your local database
2. Create a new (empty) database on your live server and import the database there
3. Upload all project data from your local directory to the live server via FTP
4. Adjust the config files for the new database connection
5. Testing with debug mode enabled

• Like 1

For step 4 you could also create copy of your config.php file called config-dev.php to have different config/database settings on your local site. And if your using Git you can easily ignore the config-dev file so local settings it won't end op on your repo. 

1 hour ago, Stefanowitsch said:

1. Export your local database
2. Create a new (empty) database on your live server and import the database there
3. Upload all project data from your local directory to the live server via FTP
4. Adjust the config files for the new database connection
5. Testing with debug mode enabled

On 5/16/2022 at 3:06 PM, Stefanowitsch said:

people often suggest to first do a new install and then copy the site into it.

Or even to use "one of the" migration modules.

But just copying everything works! so I think it's the easiest way.