Module: Process Changelog

teppo

@dragan: if you're literally using var_dump(), it should be noted that it doesn't return anything. In order to store it's value in a variable you'd need to use output buffering or some other trick. Another option is to use print_r() with return param set to true.

Main difference between var_dump() and print_r() is that var_dump() provides more information about the data types involved, while print_r() only outputs content.

Edit: you should also take a look at this comparison between var_dump(), print_r() and var_export().

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

just a quick question... How do I set the max age (bzw. where can I reset the log)? 

(I want to handover a site to a client and want the millions of log entries during dev to be removed up to a certain date.)

I would expect a "delete all" on the listing page - did I overlook something?

Hi, sure I know that deleting the rows in the database solves it perfectly. :-)

My post is

-because I think to remember that there was a max_age setting somewhere (but I cannot find it)

-and because a Delete-All button is something I was used to from Drupal and liked the idea to have such a button.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick question... How do I set the max age (bzw. where can I reset the log)? 

(I want to handover a site to a client and want the millions of log entries during dev to be removed up to a certain date.)

I would expect a "delete all" on the listing page - did I overlook something?

There's a setting called "Data max age" in the settings of Changelog Hooks module. That's probably what you were looking for (sorry for taking this long to answer!)

Hi, sure I know that deleting the rows in the database solves it perfectly. :-)

My post is

-because I think to remember that there was a max_age setting somewhere (but I cannot find it)

-and because a Delete-All button is something I was used to from Drupal and liked the idea to have such a button.

If you really need to delete all items, I'd suggest uninstalling and installing the module. That should do the trick.

"Delete all" type of button would be simple to add, but I don't really see much benefit in that.. unless it's added to the changelog page (not module settings), but in that case I'd be worried about users accidentally deleting their entire changelog. Unless there's something I'm missing here, I'd probably leave this as is :)

• 2 months later...

Hey teppo,

Minor, but fatal, bug for you. If you have Template checked under Visibility Settings and there are some entries in the log that refer to a template which has since been deleted from the system, you get a:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /site/modules/ProcessChangelog/ProcessChangelog.module on line 765

Obviously just need a check to make sure that the template still exists.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Thanks for reporting this, adrian :)

Version 1.2.10 includes a fix for aforementioned issue and is now committed and pushed to GitHub. My approach looks kind of complicated and I might tweak that later, but it should work as intended anyway.

• Like 1

Fatal error is gone, but I am getting a gazillion of these:

Notice: Undefined variable: row in /site/modules/ProcessChangelog/ProcessChangelog.module on line 970

Notice: Undefined variable: template_name in /site/modules/ProcessChangelog/ProcessChangelog.module on line 971

Hey teppo - one minor enhancement I made locally is to add a "View Page" link next to the "Edit Page" option (it also only shows on hover). I think it makes a nice enhancement - would you considering adding it also?

By the way, there is an errant </em> tag on the line where the edit link is created.

Thanks.

Thanks, Adrian. I've just fixed the notices you mentioned earlier and removed the stray </em>.

View Page seems like a worthwhile addition, but at the same time it makes the UI feel a bit stuffy. I'll have to give this a bit of thought :)

• Like 1

Now that I am using a lot of PageTable content blocks, Changelog is becoming a little less useful in its current form. I would find it more useful if it could also show the parent page so I can tell what page the user has been editing.

Thanks for considering.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is great; I was building a viewtracker made up of PW pages but needed a better solution, so I was able to just add it in to this, thanks to adrian who brought it to my attention. 

Anyone know how I can add page segments to the URL though for the views? Here's my altered logPageEvent() in ProcessChangelogHooks.module (just search 'viewed' or 'render' in the code to find my additions):

Never mind $page->input->urlSegment(1) had to be $event->input->urlSegment(1). 

public function logPageEvent(HookEvent $event) {
        // render has no arguments
        if ($event->method == "render") $page = $event->object;
        else $page = $event->arguments[0];

// don't log operations for repeaters or admin pages
        if ($page instanceof RepeaterPage || $page->template == "admin") return;

// grab operation from event
        $operation = $event->method;
        if ($operation == "saveReady") $operation = "edited";
        if ($operation == "render") {
            if ($page->template->name !== "vessel") return;
            $operation = "viewed";
        }

// only continue if this operation is set to be logged
        if (!in_array($operation, $this->operations)) return;

$fields_edited = array();
        if ($operation == "edited") {
            // skip new pages or pages being restored/trashed
            if (!$page->id || $page->parentPrevious) return;
            if ($page->isChanged()) {
                foreach ($page->template->fields as $field) {
                    if ($page->isChanged($field->name)) {
                        $fields_edited[] = $field->name;
                    }
                }
                // only continue if at least one field has been changed (or
                // if status has changed trigger new event for that)
                if (!count($fields_edited)) {
                    if ($page->isChanged("status")) {
                        $event->method = $page->is(Page::statusUnpublished) ? "unpublished" : "published";
                        $this->logPageEvent($event);
                    }
                    return;
                }
            } else return;
        } else if ($operation == "renamed") {
            // if previous parent is trash, page is being restored
            if ($page->parentPrevious->id == $this->config->trashPageID) return;
            // if current parent is trash, page is being trashed
            else if ($page->parent->id == $this->config->trashPageID) return;
        } else if ($operation == "moved") {
            if ($page->parent->id == $this->config->trashPageID) {
                // page is being trashed
                $operation = "trashed";
            } else if ($page->parentPrevious->id == $this->config->trashPageID) {
                // page is being restored
                $operation = "restored";
            }
        }

// details about page being edited, trashed, moved etc.
        $details = array();

if ($page->title) $details['Page title'] = $page->title;

$details['Page name'] = $page->name;
        if ($page->namePrevious) {
            $details[($operation == "moved" ? 'Page name' : 'Previous page name')] = $page->namePrevious;
        }

$details['Template name'] = $page->template->name;
        if ($page->templatePrevious) {
            $details['Previous template name'] = $page->templatePrevious->name;
        }

$details['Page URL'] = $page->url;
        if ($page->parentPrevious && $operation != "edited") {
            // for pages being edited current or previous parent is irrelevant
            // data since changing parent will also trigger "moved" operation.
            $details['Previous page URL'] = $page->parentPrevious->url;
            if ($page->namePrevious) $details['Previous page URL'] .= $page->namePrevious."/";
            else $details['Previous page URL'] .= $page->name."/";
        }
        if ($operation = "viewed" && $page->template->name == "vessel") {
            //$details['Page URL'] .= $page->input->urlSegment(1);
            //echo $pages->get($page)->input->urlSegment(1);//->input->urlSegment(1);
            //print_r($page);
        }

// note: currently only "edited" operation keeps track of edited fields
        if (count($fields_edited)) $details['Fields edited'] = implode(", ", $fields_edited);

// find out which script / URL triggered this particular action
        if ($this->log_caller && $caller = $this->getCaller()) $details['Caller'] = $caller;

$this->insert($operation, $page->id, $page->template->id, $details);

if ($page->isChanged('status') && !in_array($operation, array("unpublished", "published"))) {
            // if status has changed, log extra unpublished/published event
            $event->method = $page->is(Page::statusUnpublished) ? "unpublished" : "published";
            $this->logPageEvent($event);
        }

Much thanks to Teppo et al in advance 

Edited by hellomoto

Okay now what if I want to access this info? Like display on a page, the most "viewed" pages, in a certain datetime range? (or "edited", let's say; viewed in my case.)

Also how often are these flushed out? I see the cleanup function in ProcessChangelogHooks, says at an interval of $this->data_max_age. Where does that come from/is it set?

data_max_age is set in the module's settings. As for how often, I'll quote from the module directory text. 

Data Max Age

• Defines how long collected data is kept before being removed automatically.
  • Please note that automatic cleanup requires LazyCron module!
  • Default: forever (no automatic cleanup)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Installed this module on dev and no error. When installing on production I got this error:

Error: Exception: SQLSTATE[42S21]: Column already exists: 1060 Duplicate column name 'templates_id' (in /---/wire/core/WireDatabasePDO.php line 191)

The module seems to work though.

I'm not sure what it is, but I think others reported this too some time ago.

Well I installed via ModulesManager just today. Looks like  I already installed 1.1.2 version.

Strange is that it didn't happend on dev install. I just happend on a live install. Kinda not ideal to install a module on a high frequented live site but anyway. I also see that there's actually two error entries of the same. One by me and one by guest at the same second...

Thanks. Sounds like second update was triggered before first one was fully finished; database schema was already up to date, but revision number wasn't incremented yet. Looks like I'll have to add another check there to make sure that update doesn't get triggered unnecessarily like this..

If the site and module are working properly now, I wouldn't worry about this too much. If you want to be 100% sure that everything is fine, check that "schema_version" in the ProcessChangelogHooks config is "2" (easiest to check via the modules table) and that table "process_changelog" has column "templates_id".

• Like 1

Thanks. Yeah it's not that important as it seems to work fine.

Something different:

While at it, I would have a feature request to exclude or include roles that will get logged. I have sites with thousands of users. :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...