FindOne doesn't work with start

cpx3

Hi there,

to display a single slide from a huge database I only need a single page. But when I use the selector

$pages->findOne("template=template-news,start=1,sort=created")->title; 

the selector seems to ignore the start position and always returns the same page. As the docs specify clearly that findOne has the same options as find, I have been trying to find my mistake for the last four hours with any success... (I cannot use find as this slows down things extremly). Any ideas?

Hi cpx3, if I understand correct, alternate you could try display the first 3 titles like this:

$news = $pages->find("template=template-news,start=1,sort=created")->slice(0, 2); // slice(start, limit)
foreach($news as $i){
echo $i->title;
}

first() would be also an option, getting the needed page -I think...

If a find() is too slow, use findMany() with a suitable selector: https://processwire.com/api/ref/pages/find-many/.

Or if that's still too slow, or if you find them preferable for some other reason, use findJoin() or findRaw(), as described in the blog post at https://processwire.com/blog/posts/find-faster-and-more-efficiently/.

Another option would be to try RockFinder3: https://processwire.com/modules/rock-finder3/.

You can do a find() but with a limit of 1. This will be just as efficient as findOne(), the only thing is that it will return a PageArray so use first() to get the item as a Page.

$results = $pages->find("template=template-news, sort=created, limit=1, start=1");
if($results->count) {
    $title = $results->first()->title;
}

Edited by Robin S
Corrected code
  • Like 1

Thanks to everybody for the answer! I tried findRaw which seems to be the most effective but brings me to another problem: How to access page references? I have the following code:

$items = $pages->findRaw("template=template-news, select_region=austria, limit=2, objects=1", ["select_countries" => [ "id", "title" ]]);

where select_countries are referenced pages. But I have no clue how to access the select_countries id as it neither works with array[0] nor with select_countries->title... 

4 hours ago, cpx3 said:

How to access page references? I have the following code:

$items = $pages->findRaw("template=template-news, select_region=austria, limit=2, objects=1", ["select_countries" => [ "id", "title" ]]);

where select_countries are referenced pages. But I have no clue how to access the select_countries id as it neither works with array[0] nor with select_countries->title...

See if this topic helps? I've had issues with that findRaw page reference syntax in the past; unsure if it has been fixed in later PW versions as discussed in that topic.

It seems that, as @kongondo notes, there's an issue with the findRaw() syntax, at least with the array-type syntax and page-reference fields.

However, the dot syntax seems to work. So I think the following will give you what you need:

$items = $pages->findRaw("template=template-news, select_region=austria, limit=2, objects=1", ["select_countries.id", "select_countries.title"]); 

Or slightly simpler, as the keys of the returned array of page references are the page ids:

$items = $pages->findRaw("template=template-news, select_region=austria, limit=2, objects=1", ["select_countries.title"]); 

I've submitted an issue regarding the other syntax: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/1563

• Like 2

Thanks once more for the answers! My problem is that I have no idea how to get the value of select_countries.title (which is a referenced page). I tried (beside many variations):

foreach ($items as $p) {
   echo $p->select_countries.id;
}

But with no results...

Using findRaw() you get a normal PHP array (not a PW page array). And the value for select_countries is itself an array. So you can do this:

foreach($items as $item) {
    foreach($item['select_countries'] as $country) {
        echo $country['title'];
    }
}

I'm not sure what findRaw() returns if your page selector field is set to a single page, but you may need to simply use $item['select_countries']['title'] rather than the inner foreach.

• Like 1