PW 3.0.199 – Core updates

ryan

This week's commits for ProcessWire 3.0.199 focus primarily in wrapping up several remaining reported issues in preparation for our master/main release version. So you can think of 3.0.199 as very close to a release candidate for the next master/main version. A few of the issues resolved this week were ones that had been around a long time, due to being difficult to reproduce, or issues that had been held off for awhile because they were going to take additional time to resolve. (See commit log for details). Having closed out a few of those older issues this week, I'm feeling good about where the dev branch is right now and think we're just about there. If you have a chance to test out the current dev branch (3.0.199), please let us know if you run into any issues.

At least one person has asked about why we're not bumping the version to 3.1 (previously, or now). The reason is that all 200 versions of 3.x should be compatible with each other, enabling one to upgrade (or potentially downgrade) between the 3.x versions, without any drama. That's a good thing I think, and so I'm kind of proud that we are approaching version 3.0.200, which will hopefully be our next master.  I'm sure we'll have a 3.1 at some point in time, but I'd like to keep on the 3.0.x track so long as upgrades remain drama free. Thanks, and have a great weekend!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Great news! Having a recent master version is always a good thing.

And maybe it is a good time to think about the roadmap for the future? Maybe even about those breaking changes, that could make 3.1 от even 4.0 a necessity? Something that revolutionize PW dev once again. I remember when 3.0 was planning. I didn't even understand what namespaces are back then)) But now I can't imagine staying at 2.x and love that that move was made on time. What is the next step?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I know this may not be true to keeping PW lean, but having HTMX integration built in for live updates to content blocks would seriously kick butt. Sort of comparable to Livewire in Laravel. That would be incredible for 4.0.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 4:38 PM, wbmnfktr said:

Something like this?

Hmm. I remember reading that post and thinking that it only applied to seeing side-by-side (editing vs page live updates). I was referring to mostly to front-end content blocks that would change based on updates on the back. Maybe this could be used that way? And sorry for the late reply, I need to set up notifications.

"General error: 1194 Table 'pages' is marked as crashed and should be repaired"

had an update with PHP8 and pw .199 which after some issues worked fine - until I tried to export the database.

See this thread:

Any suggestions?

thx!

On 5/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, fuzenco said:

I was referring to mostly to front-end content blocks that would change based on updates on the back. Maybe this could be used that way? And sorry for the late reply, I need to set up notifications.

Well... yes. It does exactly that. If I understand your statement correct.
Changing things in the backend and viewing all those changes happening in realtime in the frontend.
That works perfectly fine. At least for content.
I use this in a side project and each and every editor is super happy.

In terms of code changes (templates)... it wouldn't do the trick.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, wishbone said:

"General error: 1194 Table 'pages' is marked as crashed and should be repaired"

had an update from 2.2 to pw .199 with PHP8

Any suggestions?

I did an all new upgrading process, now works.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, wbmnfktr said:

Well... yes. It does exactly that. If I understand your statement correct.
Changing things in the backend and viewing all those changes happening in realtime in the frontend.
That works perfectly fine. At least for content.
I use this in a side project and each and every editor is super happy.

In terms of code changes (templates)... it wouldn't do the trick.

Whoa! Then I have to look into this. Thank you! FYI: That restaurant site is nice.