Moving PW between staging and live server

Adam Kiss

Ok so I had the same situation! After migrate, could not Log in. 

To prevent this problem I found that migration should be done in a proper order.

1. Install PW on your new domain.

2. Copy and replace the /site directory. (if needed delete the content of site/assets/cache, i think I did that, sorry I repeated the process a lot of times because of failures so not sure about that anymore :D )

3. modify "site/config.php" so the DB info is correct, confirm that userAuthSalt is correct (same as in your old domain or local dev version)

4. copy and replace the ".htaccess" in the root dir

5. Now export and import the DB (if I did it before previous steps then it did not work in my case, so its important to do it now)

Now go into admin and check if there aren't any errors and try to log in. It worked for me!

Hope it helps some of you!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, I think generally it is the way to go, however, I would like to add a few comments:

26 minutes ago, Slav said:

2. Copy and replace the /site directory. (if needed delete the content of site/assets/cache

It can be useful if there are "permission issues".

27 minutes ago, Slav said:

3. modify "site/config.php" so the DB info is correct, confirm that userAuthSalt is correct (same as in your old domain or local dev version)

Do not forget httpHosts either and other settings might be important to change too.

28 minutes ago, Slav said:

4. copy and replace the ".htaccess" in the root dir

.htaccess might also be different on staging and live (production) so proceed accordingly :) 

30 minutes ago, Slav said:

5. Now export and import the DB (if I did it before previous steps then it did not work in my case, so its important to do it now)

It should not matter which step it is.