Suggestion for PW theme or future development

PHPSpert

So this month marks an entire year since someone opened me to the world of Processwire. Can't believe it's been that long. I have to say that without PW I would have lost many hours of coding and recoding classes, setting up basic websites and database tables. Aside from that, the API is something I would have killed for 5 years ago. PW has already given me a load of leverage of building projects fast and making way more money in less time.

That said, after doing around 20+ installs since starting to use PW, I've noticed a few things about my work flow that I think could be improved. These improvements could spike productivity through the roof and save me even more hours and make me more dollars than before.

There's a LOT of back and forth when setting up a website in PW. What we need is a way to reduce the amount of time creating new templates, fields and pages, as well as editing all of this stuff. Today I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if there was a way to just add a new page by typing it in a new slot below the other pages, selecting a template and clicking save. By default a template could be selected, for example the allowed child templates or the default-page template. Also, it would be cool to add and edit templates on the fly as well. Let's say we create a new page, click add new template (JQuery window pops up) and we can either add or edit the template right there as we're creating a new page. Also we could create new fields while editing the template. That way we could create a page on the fly with minimal settings, set up the template, add any additional fields we need and save it and publish it all in the same area.

Now, this would not be easy to code by a long shot. Would take a lot of ajax calls and JQuery to get it to work. But having something like that would be wicked. With this, we could basically set up a page tree in 10 minutes or less.

I know the obvious answer is, "well, go and code it," I seriously don't have the time for this right now. ProcessWireSexy was my planned theme but I'm still trying to find time to even start on it.

Is there a theme out there like this that someone has already made? Someone has to have already thought of this.

• Like 1

Hi ClintonSkakun,

I do agree that speed of workflow could be improved in certain areas within ProcessWire imo.

I find that particularly when first setting up a site that creating fields & permissions can be a little cumbersome, still class leading in comparison to other systems, but definitely with room for improvement. However, I've seen mention that Json import & export for fields and pages is on the way at some point. Maybe a nice GUI could be built for it at some point too that would allow for bulk setup of pages in a very user friendly workflow?

PW could definitely benefit from bulk operations in the admin of some sort. Maybe, along the lines of Views Bulk Operations in Drupal and tied into the permissions system, so that admins (or whoever) can have this feature and other roles can't.

Also - and whilst this doesn't directly address your suggestions - have you tried creating and exporting a profile? I am currently working on one that addresses common setup needs for me. There must be some steps that you repeat for each project where this could come in handy and reduce time for you. The export profile module can be found here: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-export-profile

This is a good discussion point.

Thanks Teppo, I missed this somehow, it looks good and indeed it does a lot to address bulk creation of content.

It would be great to have this somehow more fully integrated into the UI in ProcessWire. For example, so that pages could be quick edited via ajax in the tree without having to refresh the page.

To build such tools is time consuming. And we all can't afford the time and energy and knowledge, like you too, to build them.

Also it's nothing to do with admin theme per se, as those workflow and bulk editing things wouldn't be able to be build solely there. It would have to be built by modules.

And I create already quite a lot of helper modules and theme that help out a lot and has improved my working with PW alot already.

Ajax editing isn't possible within PW, as there's fields that need a lot more than just content (TinyMCE, Page etc) and need additional script and configurations. At least it isn't something easy.

@raydale. But I have something else for you which is fun http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2380-fancy-admin-mode/ :)

Regarding workflow and bulk editing. I see many possibilities creating custom edit modules and I think time will come where these appear (as my WIP). It's just we all haven't got the time needed to do everything within the short amount of time PW is out.

Also I don't see all this workflows and bulk editing everybody requests as something that important, as you can easily open 2-3 tabs and do that without going back and forth clicking in the menus, and I know other (Ryan) also works this way. So having a flow that allows to edit everything from everything wouldn't be much of a time saver as I see it. Further the API can be used to create a lot of pages or field or templates quickly.

DAMN STUPID FORUM SOFTWARE!!! It's getting worse and worse.... sorry

• Like 1

Thanks Soma. Fancy Admin mode looks really good too! I think most of my queries are covered and shows how out of the loop I have been with PW recently - I should have searched shouldn't I? :)

Also I don't see all this workflows and bulk editing everybody requests as something that important, as you can easily open 2-3 tabs and do that without going back and forth clicking in the menus, and I know other (Ryan) also works this way. So having a flow that allows to edit everything from everything wouldn't be much of a time saver as I see it. Further the API can be used to create a lot of pages or field or templates quickly.

I agree with you from a developer perspective as using browser tabs is a fairly standard workflow. However, from a content editor perspective, ease and speed of use is one area that always needs improvement and refinement as content editing is still (by and large) a very technical process for the average person.

Regarding workflow and bulk editing. I see many possibilities creating custom edit modules and I think time will come where these appear (as my WIP). It's just we all haven't got the time needed to do everything within the short amount of time PW is out.

I'm sure they will appear as the community grows. Time is a constant battle for most of us I'm sure and the progress thus far is incredible. However, it is important to open up discussions on better workflows and suggestions regardless, no?

Nik's AfterSaveActions module is also a great time saving optimization for when you are creating pages, templates, fields. I was using it just yesterday on a site where I needed to add a hundred or so pages via copy/paste (the content was too inconsistent in order to automate it with something API-driven). I set my 'after save action' to 'create another sibling page', and it probably cut the time it would have taken in half. 

• Like 3

Soma, that plugin looks really good. I'm excited to try it out. I do a lot of small websites where most of the work is just creating pages, then filling out the content. So something like this will knock some time off the process.

Ryan, that plugin looks good also. However, I don't see it as a huge time saver unless there's a specific use. Soma's plugin nearly takes away the need to switch back and forth between pages. The only thing is when we need to add and edit content in the body or other fields.

By any rate, thanks for the contributions. You guys rock as always. There's a lot of new stuff to learn, create and improve. We don't all have the free time to dedicate our lives to these things but I like the minor additions here and there. When I get some time, I'd like to make some contributions also.

Thanks Soma. Fancy Admin mode looks really good too! I think most of my queries are covered and shows how out of the loop I have been with PW recently - I should have searched shouldn't I? :)

I agree with you from a developer perspective as using browser tabs is a fairly standard workflow. However, from a content editor perspective, ease and speed of use is one area that always needs improvement and refinement as content editing is still (by and large) a very technical process for the average person.

I'm sure they will appear as the community grows. Time is a constant battle for most of us I'm sure and the progress thus far is incredible. However, it is important to open up discussions on better workflows and suggestions regardless, no?

I agree, sometimes little tweaks can create huge time savers. My idea might not be the best, but hopefully it gets a few minds working on how we can save more time in each of our projects and make additions down the road.