ProcessWire Pros and Cons

clsource

Hello Camilo,

Nice to see you still blogging about PW.

18 hours ago, clsource said:

I would love to know if there any other considerations

I like your post a lot, however maybe the "Requires some learning" bit is too vague. Yes, you explain it right afterwards but changing it to "At least basic PHP knowledge is required" or something similar would make it clear right out of the box.

I think there is at least one more important bit to explain in more detail: frontend possibilities.

"....way of code organization, neither force you to learn a new template engine."

Sure, but it is an advantage that there are modules supporting template engines for those who need them or one can integrate any of them relatively easily. Also, the core provides Markup Reagons for those who prefer plain php templating for the output rendering, which makes life easier too. I would mention and point/link to these options as well, not just the JSON "alternatives".

Again, nice blog post for sure.

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@clsource

Nice article. 

All in all, very true. However, I disagree with one point. 

E-commerce. Although there are wonderful solutions for e-commerce like Padloper.pw, this area is best to configure a dedicated e-commerce software and communicate via its apis, if you need something quick for e-commerce.

At one time, I went through a lot of CMS in search of a basis for the development of the store. In the case of complexly organized product hierarchy, all other CMS do not allow to implement an effective solution. And only ProcessWire makes it easy to implement the most complex hierarchy. At the same time, it can handle the load of a million requests. Moreover, I started my work in 2013. Now ProcessWire has many more features and capabilities.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andy said:

And only ProcessWire makes it easy to implement the most complex hierarchy. At the same time, it can handle the load of a million requests.

No doubt. But how do you manage all the e-commerce stuff that has to be done besides managing your products?

• Like 1

@bernhard

43 minutes ago, bernhard said:

No doubt. But how do you manage all the e-commerce stuff that has to be done besides managing your products?

At one time a module was written to manage customer orders. In 2013, Apeisa published Shop for Processwire version of DEV. There were a lot of interesting points there that we used. Payment gates with our bank were gradually added. Most importantly, it's all written for the kind of commerce our store uses. Usually CMS for trading offer their own trading algorithm. And this is not always convenient.

• Like 2

I think ProcessWire is perfectly capable of handling an ecommerce.
My main consideration is that such project requires more time and expertise than for example
configuring a Woocommerce, Open Cart or Prestashop type of ecommerce and just use their apis for showing up the products.

If you would need a tailored approach, surely ProcessWire and Padloper can be handy ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clsource said:

If you would need a tailored approach, surely ProcessWire and Padloper can be handy ?

Maybe give Padloper 2 a try. It is a dedicated e-commerce software ? ?. Then again, maybe I am too close to it.

• Like 2