Field type: Select files

Peter Knight

Hi 

Is there a field type in the Core which will allow be to select one (or more) files within the PW file system?

For context...

I want to create two stand-alone PHP files which contain simple HTML as follows

• Call-to-Action-01.php would be <h2>Call us</h2>
  • Call-to-Action-02.php would be <h2>Email us</h2>

These would be stored within the PW /templates directory (I think).

I then want to use RepeaterMatrix to select one or both and output them into my template where necessary.

I was then looking at the $files->render() method and have the following working

<?php $string = $files->render($Call-to-Action01.php); ?>

So that's a good start but now how to select ?

Thanks ?

In the RepeaterMatrix field create two repeater matrix item types: cta1 & cta2. They don't even have to have any fields, i guess.

In the template file that should output the repeater items you can output them like this:

<?php

foreach($page->repeater_matrix_field as $item){

if ($item->type == "cta1"){
    echo wireRenderFile("Call-to-Action01.php");
  }

if ($item->type == "cta2"){
    echo wireRenderFile("Call-to-Action02.php");
  }
}

?>

RepeaterMatrix is a pro module, though. Not Core.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter Knight said:

Is there a field type in the Core which will allow be to select one (or more) files within the PW file system?

Yes, you can use InputfieldTextTags https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.177/

But it would be a lot easier to use HannaCode or a custom Textformatter module which replaces [file=foo-bar.php] with the content of the file foo-bar.php

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aagd said:

In the RepeaterMatrix field create two repeater matrix item types: cta1 & cta2. They don't even have to have any fields, i guess.

In the template file that should output the repeater items you can output them like this:

<?php

foreach($page->repeater_matrix_field as $item){

if ($item->type == "cta1"){
    echo wireRenderFile("Call-to-Action01.php");
  }

if ($item->type == "cta2"){
    echo wireRenderFile("Call-to-Action02.php");
  }
}

?>

RepeaterMatrix is a pro module, though. Not Core.

Thanks @aagd. Good idea and certainly something I'm about to explore. I used 2 examples but I'll probably at some stage end up with a lot more. My concern is about scalability here and having to create a field to associate with each file. Ideally I'd love a file select field that I can simply point at a directory.

18 hours ago, bernhard said:

Yes, you can use InputfieldTextTags https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.177/

But it would be a lot easier to use HannaCode or a custom Textformatter module which replaces [file=foo-bar.php] with the content of the file foo-bar.php

Thanks @bernhard
I've been trying this and much to my surprise, I have it working as follows. Have yet to try it within a Repeater Matrix for the moment.

<?php $myfile = $page->fieldtypeselectfile; ?>
<?php echo wireRenderFile("$myfile");?>

I did find a bug whereby this only seems to scan files within the template folder and not a custom directory but I'll mention that on the main Module thread.

Thanks.