[SOLVED] Float field type problems more than 6 numbers

formulate

Created a new float field and it is converting any numbers past the 6th to zero. Example: I enter 123456789 in to the field and after saving the number is 123456000.

I have checked and ensured the character limit is set to it's default "10". I also tried "0" and "999". None of that worked.

PW version 3.0.184

SOLUTION: use the "Decimal" fieldtype that is built in to the core. It's not installed by default, you need to enable it in Modules > Core.

Edited by formulate
Marking solved.

@formulate: per @ryan (see https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/1502), "It's okay to change it to a double directly in the DB schema if you want to. I have done this on the rare occasion when it was helpful and it works just fine."

i.e. you can copy and hack the float fieldtype and make it type 'double' - if decimal doesn't fit your need . I'm still not sure why 'double' isn't provided out of the box.

Ok, so this is getting over my head a bit. My numbers are not scientific notation, I just want a way in PW to be able to specify a 7 or 8 digit number, possibly with 2 decimal places and have it not manipulated in any way. I guess I could just use a text field, but that defeats the purpose.

• formulate changed the title to [SOLVED] Float field type problems more than 6 numbers
Just now, Jan Romero said:

+1 for installing Decimal by default and perhaps even making Float uninstalled by default.

Totally agree to this. I imagine most common case-use scenarios would be for using Decimal rather than Float. Given the additional confusion with Float and how the numbers get manipulated (which isn't readily clear anywhere that I could see), it definitely seems like Float should not be the default option that's installed.