new processwire site using blog profile

josedigital

hello, everyone!

been an active reader in the processwire community but never felt like i had anything to contribute. ufortunately, i still don't feel up to speed to contribute much to the community but i thought i'd share a new site. i used ryan's blog profile as a base. it's still not 100% finished (probably at about 90% on the dev side) and the blog hasn't been posted to yet. any opinions/critiques, good or bad, are appreciated. 

http://revengeofthecakeball.com/

many thanks!

alex

• Like 5

Welcome, Alex

Hey, you would be amazed how you can contribute - sometimes just asking questions gives some of the more experienced developers an excuse to pour forth their knowledge!

Cakes look good! (and dangerous for my waist line)  and the site seems properly responsive (which is slowly becoming mandatory, I think). I like it.

What are you using for the shopping cart?

thanks, Joss!

this is truly the best and most helpful/supportive community i've ever seen.

and yes, responsive seems to be a standard practice these days. i haven't actually worked on the responsive side of it. the grid i use is set up for responsive but the styles still need some tweaking for it to be fully responsive and complete.

the cart i'm using is http://simplecartjs.org/ it really is simple. easy to use and set up. and with the repeater fields, i can have my client enter all the items she wants. it's not a full e-commerce solution but for more simple needs, it's pretty awesome.

again, many thanks, Joss!!

alex

the cart i'm using is http://simplecartjs.org/ it really is simple. easy to use and set up. and with the repeater fields, i can have my client enter all the items she wants. it's not a full e-commerce solution but for more simple needs, it's pretty awesome.

Hmm, took me 2 seconds to hack it, and enter my own price... which then get's submitted to paypal. Not a solution I would take serious.

Hmm, took me 2 seconds to hack it, and enter my own price... which then get's submitted to paypal. Not a solution I would take serious.

Yes... Ouch!!  I see this too.  Very baddiwad.

Alex: what other options did you consider to handle the pretty polly?

You didn't think you would get away without at least one Nadsat reference did you?

Thanks,

Matthew

yikes! thanks for the catch, Soma! i've a lot to learn. and thank you as well for the nice compliment! off to find another solution.

Yes... Ouch!!  I see this too.  Very baddiwad.

Alex: what other options did you consider to handle the pretty polly?

You didn't think you would get away without at least one Nadsat reference did you?

Thanks,

Matthew

nadsat... awesome. 

yes, ouch indeed. i really didn't look into any other solutions. this was sent to me by a friend and it was so easy i didn't think about it too much. too good to be true, then.

all this gives me a bit of a pain in the gulliver! i'll see what i can find. thank you, Matthew and Soma, for catching this. 

alex

Great site josedigital! I would have never guessed this used the blog profile as a base. Nice work! 

I think this is pretty common. This is really only an issue if you are selling digital products with instant delivery. In a case like this site, where somebody has to create or ship something, I don't think it's a problem.

There's absolutely no benefit to manipulating the values. The paid amounts are almost always in the face of anyone fulfilling orders. If someone is manipulating these things to place an order, it falls under the category of "world's stupidest crimes." They are committing fraud while creating a permanent paper trail and providing personal info like a credit card and/or mailing address. :) 

• Like 1

Haha, yes in this case not a real problem maybe.

But I see it rather as the "most stupid thing" to create and publish such a script to the not so aware folks out there in the first place. Which obviously has a security problem and will be used by common "have no idea" users.

And I'm not sure about what the laws are if a user can order a thing for 0.01 and you at the end have to deliver it for that price.

• Like 1

And I'm not sure about what the laws are if a user can order a thing for 0.01 and you at the end have to deliver it for that price.

That is not an issue - most consumer laws say you are agreeing to the published price - or display price in a website - plus any additional charges that are clearly displayed.

What you are suggesting is like going into a shop, picking up an item marked for ten pounds/dollars/franks/yen/ and then leaning over the counter and changing the till value to a pound.

:)

• Like 1

That is not an issue - most consumer laws say you are agreeing to the published price - or display price in a website - plus any additional charges that are clearly displayed.

What you are suggesting is like going into a shop, picking up an item marked for ten pounds/dollars/franks/yen/ and then leaning over the counter and changing the till value to a pound.

:)

You'll laugh but there's been such cases where people do swap prices in a shop and get away with it.

while i do appreciate Soma's catch, i agree with Ryan. i don't think it'll be an issue with this site and this type of product. been looking into other solutions for future use. i liked Matthew's suggestion (foxycart), but will keep my eyes open for other alternatives. many thanks to everyone for taking the time!

alex

Hi Alex,

Nice job you've done with the blog profile! I do get this error "Unable to complete this request due to an error. Error has been logged." when trying to access the 'Archives' page in the blog section. Perhaps something to have a look at. ;)

thanks, panictree. that error has been there because the client hasn't added any blog posts. i went ahead and added a fake post and the archives page is working now. thanks for the heads up!

Nice site Alex. I like the use of textures and fonts on the site. The contact form is well done too.

Just out of interest, how long did it take you in respect of using the blog profile as a base?

thank you, raydale. using the blog profile as a base was pretty easy and didn't take long at all. it didn't take more than 3 hours to adapt my design to the blog profile.  here's what i did:

• duplicated the home page template and named it blog_home
  • created my own homepage template
  • i found it would be easier for the client to add content if i treated each section of the homepage as a page (home, gallery, order form, about, and contact) so i created templates for each with their respective fields.
  • all pages are published + hidden except for home and blog pages
  • i called all the needed fields in my home template (all home page fields, all gallery fields, etc.)
  • and then just created a page named 'blog' using the blog template.

hope this answers your question. many thanks to both of you!

alex

• 4 weeks later...

... any opinions/critiques, good or bad, are appreciated. 

http://revengeofthecakeball.com/

Beautifully done Jose :P 

On the homepage, this line, "Now accepting orders for Valentine's day through Monday, Feb. 11" is past date.

Otherwise, I also caught the easy to manipulate prices in the javascript cart something to worry about.

But I also do agree with Ryan, it's not really a big deal.

GREAT choice on the fonts!!! your color palette is very nice and soothing, it matches your products very well!

• 1 year later...

I'm considering simplecartjs as a new small online shopping website.

May I ask you, how do u implement each of product ?

I'm quit new on processwire. In my understanding, to setup a product is to create a product template (processwire content all are pages) with necessary fields for a product. for example title, desc, product image, quantity, price

Am I right ?

That's the general idea. Create a template for your products (let's say it's called product). Create and/or assign all the fields needed by a product to the "product" template.

Go to http://wojodesign.com/simpleCart/

Right click and view page source

It runs completely on the client side so I wouldn't recommend this shopping cart.

The latest simplecart version is 3.0 and you should check if they solved these security issues:

https://github.com/wojodesign/simplecart-js/issues/329

http://www.reddit.com/r/javascript/comments/1dxiy0/this_javascript_shopping_cart_just_looks_too_easy/

• 2 months later...

I've take a look at simpleCart(js). Nice and simple. 

Maybe a simple way to get it done, but without server side verification and checkout it's insecure (especially for digital products)...

Could it be secured with only "SendForm" Checkout? To verify it at the server? But I think it needs a different/ own checkout gateway...?

*update*

Thinking about Snipcart integration/ shop...