Having isues with grasping the "bookmarks"

_Roy_

I have already gotten a pretty good idea about how to utilize ProcessWire in the sites I make, but there is something nagging me. I see a button "Add new" next to the page tree, and when I click it, I have 1 option: Bookmarks.

I have clicked it, and added a page to the bookmarks, but I don't understand what this actually does. I don't see anything different on that page, and I can't understand the explanation that is provided ("The pages you select above represent bookmarks to the parent pages where you want children added. Note that if a user does not have permission to add a page to a given parent page (whether due to access control or template family settings), the bookmark will not appear.").

So, I guess the question boils down to: what do bookmarks do?

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:33 AM, _Roy_ said:

I see a button "Add new" next to the page tree, and when I click it, I have 1 option: Bookmarks.

The most common way to use the "Add New" feature is by defining "Allowed template(s) for children" and "Allowed template(s) for parents" on the templates in question. See the information in the screenshot below:

2022-01-30_134418.png.ac06fb78eed36c4d37888e91b4ad6ac5.png

When you have this configured then you can quickly add new pages of the child template via the "Add New" button and menu link.

The "Bookmarks" feature applies when you haven't defined allowed parent/child template settings, but you want a shortcut to add a new child page under some specific parent page. So if you had some deeply nested page that you often want to add new child pages under you could set a bookmark for that parent. Clicking the bookmark would then be the same as opening the page tree to that parent and clicking "Add", but it would perhaps save you some time. It's not a feature that I've found all that useful in practice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Robin S,

I was a bit ill the last couple of days, sorry for keeping you hanging so long. I have to say I'm still trying to grasp it, but your explanation is already much clearer than the one I saw in processwire itself. I'm guessing it is also a problem with me being really new, so not all the terminology that is specific to Processwire is already known by me.

I will be trying things out the coming days! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it ?

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, Nick Belane said:

And it doesn't make sense in my opinion because you choose a page in the bookmarks not a template.

There are 2 types of bookmarks, one defined in template and that can be disabled, and one that you create manually on bookmarks pages, selecting a parent page.

The first one uses label defined in templates (or template name if not defined), that's the one I was talking about. I thought that was your question.
The second one use parent page name, and I don't how you can change this, maybe with a hook?