Who is using dynamic roles?

bernhard

We're in the last steps of phasing out the project I was using it on. Most parts had been replaced years ago since we moved away from processwire with that project. The module's approach to access is nice, but iirc there were some bugs in the master implementation and we actually would've needed a bit more flexibility out of it (still needed code to create those dynamic roles). I'd still suggest it over expensive runtime access checks if it aligns to a projects access setup.

We've been using it because our access was not only scoped by roles, but also by customers. So a manager would only have access to manager pages, which belonged to a customer assigned to that manager. Customers weren't static, but also defined by pages within the system. Things also weren't segmented into individual page trees, though iirc the modules for segmenting by page tree didn't exist at that time as well.

• Like 4

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand how anyone used it without fixing this issue: https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/DynamicRoles/issues/14 -it's an easy fix I made when I was testing it, but I decided it wasn't for me, especially for projects with a lot of pages, because of how it stores the IDs pages, IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at my commit log on the folder it seems I had made that edit manually as well. I'm certainly with you on the storage. In the end for our system it would've been much more useful for pages to be assigned/tagged a customer and have access matched by assigned customers for users instead of matching drole to individual pages.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...