New page '//' must be saved before files can be accessed from it

rick

Howdy y'all,

I have created a set of fields via the api, added them to a fieldgroup, then assigned that fieldgroup to a template. One field is FieldtypeImage. When I attempt to create a form using $page->getInputFields() the following error is displayed,

New page '//' must be saved before files can be accessed from it

This only happens when fields relating to files are present. All the other field types are created correctly on a form.

How can I 'bypass' this 'must be saved' issue?

Hi @rick 

As error says, a page should be saved before adding to or accessing files from it. 

Take a look at this thread 

Probably you have to check for $page->isNew() and $page->id or just save a page before doing somting with files field like

$uploadpage = new Page();
$uploadpage->template = "upload-entry";
$uploadpage->title = date("d-m-Y H:i:s") . " - " . uniqid();
$uploadpage->save(); //save page before adding files
$uploadpage->images->add($upload_path . $file); // save uploaded files to new page
$uploadpage->save();

I don't know the context of your code as the code itself, so it quite hard to say someting more. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zeka said:

I don't know the context of your code as the code itself, so it quite hard to say someting more. 

Hi @Zeka,

Thanks for the help. I can check whether the page is present or not. The issue is imho one of consistency. Let me elaborate...

Only the 'file' field types have this 'gotcha'. For example, in PHP the procedure is as follows:

1.     Create a form
  2.     User completes the form and submits (including any uploaded files)

Data is then sanitized, uploaded tmp files are moved, and data written to the database

or

1.     The user cancels the operation

Data and form are destroyed

The PW way:

1.     Create and save some dummy page
  2.     Create a form
  3.     User completes the form and submits (including any upload files)

Data is then saved and files are moved to that page asset

or

1.     The user cancels the operation (No cancel function, so navigate away)

*Page is now orphaned* You get the notice that a page with that name already exists when attempting to create another page. Interesting is that page doesn't have a title field (which is required).

Using any other field type, I can perform the following procedure within my process module:

1.     Create a form
  2.     User completes the form and submits

Page is saved with user data and user is redirected to previous page
    The steps are: 1) Create blank new Page. 2) Assign Parent. 3) Assign Template.
    4) Build form from Page->getInputFields()

or

1.     User cancels operation

Data and form are discarded and user is redirected to previous page

The problem is pre-defining a page just so an empty input field has a reference before any data is provided. This only occurs when there are 'file' fields present in the template.

7 hours ago, rick said:

Only the 'file' field types have this 'gotcha'. For example, in PHP the procedure is as follows:

1.     Create a form
  2.     User completes the form and submits (including any uploaded files)

Data is then sanitized, uploaded tmp files are moved, and data written to the database

or

1.     The user cancels the operation

The PW way:

1.     Create and save some dummy page
  2.     Create a form
  3.     User completes the form and submits (including any upload files)

I don't think this is a fair comparison. You can easily create a form, have it submitted (including uploads -> to some tmp folder), create a page if happy with the uploads, save it, move your uploads to the file/image fields, then save again. No orphan pages.

I believe your issue is because you are calling $page->getInputfields(). This calls all the fields on that page's template, including your image field. Being a new page, you cannot add (as has been pointed out) to that field unless the page is saved. One reason is that ProcessWire stores a page's files in the page's assets folder (site/assets/files). E.g., site/assets/files/1234/some_image.jpg. Without saving the page first, there is no folder 1234, hence there is no destination for your image. Unless I've forgotten something, this is one of the explanations. 

Above means that to get around this, create your own form with your own file upload field instead of relying on $page->getInputfields(). This way you can handle the uploads yourself and only create a new page when satisfied with the sanitisation and validation. Alternatively, call $page->getInputfields() with the $fieldName argument (in your case an array) that exclude your image field. I haven't tested this approach, but I think it should work.

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 2