Automatically zoom in on the current Parent Page when modifying Page Parent (Edit Page) and Selectable pages (Page Reference field)

SwimToWin

Where I am:

1. Edit Page -> Settings -> Parent -> "+Change".
  2. Edit Field -> Page Reference field -> Input tab -> "Selectable pages (Select the parent of the pages that are selectable)" -> "+Change".
  3. ... and possibly other locations where the Page Tree is used.

Quality of life improvement:
When modifying Parent Pages (Edit Page) or Selectable pages (on a Page Reference field) and I press "+Change" to change the Parent Page, it would be nice if the current Parent Page came into focus without effort.

Current solution:
As an editor, I am required to find the Parent Page / "Page Reference parent page" manually which makes me think ("where did I put that page?"), takes a bit of time ("click, click, click"), and is hard on a larger site with a deep structure.

The unmet goals are:

• I instantly see the context for the current Parent Page.
  • I can effortlessly select another Parent Page.

Constraints:

• Large website makes it hard to navigate and get a view of the Page Tree.
  • I don't want to pick an incorrect Parent Page.
  • It's sometimes difficult to see if I choose the right parent.
  • The Parent Page must be in the current "Page Branch" ("/foo/bar/baz/" -> "/foo/quz/baz/").
  • I don't always need to see/browse the full Page Tree.
  • Sometimes a lot of parent pages are unnessarily shown (larger websites with 4-5 levels of pages).

Better:

• When I open the Edit Page / Edit Field page and click "+Change", I want the tree structure to expand (in a modal?) and bring the current Parent Page into focus.
    • It's one of those small things that help create a smooth user experience.
  • Additional thoughts:
    • The displayed Page Tree only shows the current Page Branch; this might optionally be specified on the Template.
    • Hide "unneeded" parent pages in a larger websites with 4-5 levels of pages (how?).

Perhaps you have additional ideas that might improve working with Parent Pages when editing a page or a field?

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread. It's an issue that has been brought up by clients, especially those with larger site structures. Selecting a page in the PageField set to "Tree View" is no problem. However, on edits its hard to identify if the correct page has been selected or which page has been selected altogether.

A suggest improvement would be:

• Field Option: Tree Open/Closed

This would improve UX of the field significantly.

• Like 2