Field: select a page OR enter a URL

heldercervantes

Is there anything as a field that allows the user to either select a page OR enter a URL?

With what's available, it seems I can either give my editors a page field that doesn't allow them to point to outside URLs, or I give them a multi-language text field where they have to type the link in each individual language. This sucks.

On some occations I've given both options. Page select and a multilanguage text field that overrides it. Not very elegant, sucks. Doesn't validate the URL, sucks.

What would be awesome? A single field where the user either selects a page from the tree or inputs a URL with multi-language option. Also on the API, a boolean property that would easily tell if it's a page or manually entered URL that I could use to make it open in a new tab. ? Perfection!!

Yeah, I know, been here long enough to know that by now I should be able to whip up a module like that. Alas, I suck.

If I remember right, in such cases I use a URL field for external URLs and a page select field for internal (multilanguage) links.

If the URL field is empty, the page select field is shown, if a (external) URL is given, the page select field is hidden (showIf). (In the notes of the URL field is a hint that clearing the field will show the internal page select field).

In template files I first check if there is given a URL or if that is field empty, and according to that I display external or internal URL.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 10:35 PM, horst said:

If I remember right, in such cases I use a URL field for external URLs and a page select field for internal (multilanguage) links.

If the URL field is empty, the page select field is shown, if a (external) URL is given, the page select field is hidden (showIf). (In the notes of the URL field is a hint that clearing the field will show the internal page select field).

In template files I first check if there is given a URL or if that is field empty, and according to that I display external or internal URL.

Yeah, that's more or less what I do. Would be cool to have something more elegant though, that wouldn't require all that configuration and conditional rendering on the frontend.