Admin Dashboard "Edit" Page is no longer responsive...only for particular page with lots of image in gallery

rastographics

I have a template that has an `images` field. 

On one of the pages using this template, I have about 500 images (about 2MB each).

The images display perfectly on the page when viewing it on the front end.

However, if I attempt to go to the edit page in the admin dashboard (`/admin/page/edit/?id=<ID>`) then php will timeout after 30 seconds. 

To be clear, the front-end view of my template does NOT timeout (after the initial page load and the image sizes are all generated, this page is very fast to view). No issues on front-end whatsoever.

The admin edit page times out. ONLY for this particular page. I have other pages using the same template, with 150-200 images, and no problems with accessing the edit page.

Any suggestions? Is the images field not made to scale past a couple hundred images?

Thank you in advance.

The image field can handle this scale, but maybe your server seems not to be able to create 500 thumbnails in under 30 seconds? 

Thats the only thing that came to my mind. Or are the adminthumbnails already all there?

@horst the admin thumbnails all showed up when I first added the images (I would do about 100 at a time until all of them were done). I saved the page. (which is why everything works on the front end side).

I'll make another page with the same thumbnails to see if I can replicate this. Is there a place to look for server logs or turn logs on, that would show me potential errors when I redo this process?

44 minutes ago, rastographics said:

Is there a place to look for server logs or turn logs on, that would show me potential errors when I redo this process?

Yes, you should turn on debug in your site/config.php for that:

$config->debug = true;

So, an error logging is always running, but with $config->debug set to true, it is more verbose. All generated log files are located under /site/assets/logs/ and you can view them paginated in the admin under setup > logs >

Don't forget to revert $config->debug back to false, if the site is public online!

EDIT: If you would have changed the admin thumb size after you have added the 500 to one page, then the page editor would try to regenerate all thumbs at all. (just a possibility, but you haven't changed it, I believe)

I'm interested what you will find out. I have pages also with 300+ 400+ and a view with 500 images in one field, but all of them have lesser (longer) PHP timeout restrictions.

Edited by horst
added one more thought