How “Prevent direct access to file assets owned by pages using this template?” works

DrQuincy

I just wanted to check how the new “Prevent direct access to file assets owned by pages using this template?” option works under the template Access tab.

The first option works as PW has done historically. If I choose the third option then it seems I only get a 404 if the current user doesn't have view access to the page. So, that's great. It seems to change the folder now so that is satisfies a different .htaccess rule to control access.

What I'm unsure of is in the second option where it says:

Yes when page is unpublished, in the trash, or not publicly accessible

What is meant by “publicly accessible”? Would this be a page that uses the admin template? I just wanted to understand how it works because to me this implies role access — which seems to be the job of the third option. To be honest, if I ever wanted to secure files in this way I think I'd use the third option anyway.

One general question: if you chose the third option and wanted to log the number of times a restricted file is accessed, which hook would you use?

Thanks.

On 9/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, DrQuincy said:

Yes when page is unpublished, in the trash, or not publicly accessible

Hi.

I've never used this feature by from this thread I can assume that it meens that user has page-view permission for the corresponding template.

• Like 1