Weekly update – 10 September 2021

ryan

This week there are a few minor updates on the dev branch, though not enough yet to bump the version. The most notable are a few improvements to the database selectors you can use with $pages->find() and similar API calls. While working through issue reports a few weeks ago, there were a couple issue reports that indicated one selector or another not working. What I found was that it was working as designed/built, but they were just selector features that had never been supported. But they also seemed like good/useful shorthand syntax to support, so I was enthusiastic to add support for them. I just wanted to wait till we were back on the dev branch, as we are now. Here's what's been added:

Support for OR values on "status=" selectors. Now you can match one status or another with PageFinder selectors by specifying a selector like "status=hidden|unpublished", and this will find all pages that either have hidden or unpublished status. The hidden and unpublished are just likely the most common examples, but you can use any other status name, or as many statuses as necessary in your OR condition. Previously it was possible to match pages having one status or another by other means, but it was far from straightforward. Now it's nice and simple.

Support for OR values on "sort=" selectors. This one isn't technically an OR condition since we are giving a command to the selector engine about how it should sort, rather than trying to match something. You can tell it how to sort with the syntax "sort=date|title" as an example. That would be shorthand for "sort=date, sort=title", which is saying "first sort by date, then by title".  

Support for combined start and limit selectors. Previously you have had to specify "start=x, limit=y" separately, if you needed it. Now you can optionally specify both as part of the "limit", for example "limit=5|10" which is shorthand for "start=5, limit=10", and actually kind of similar to what it translates to in MySQL, which is "LIMIT 5,10". I suspect that not many people ever use "start=" in their selectors unless using "start=0" to prevent a set from paginating. So if you wanted a set of 10 pages that don't follow the current pagination, you could specify "limit=0|10" in your selector, or the more verbose "start=0, limit=10" will work in any PW version.

Support for matching children paths. This is a small one, but previously you couldn't do "children=/path/to/page" to match a page having the given child path. Though you could do "children=123" where 123 is the ID of the child page. It has been updated so that it can now support paths in addition to IDs, just as "parent" does. I'm not sure why we didn't have support for this one before, it likely just hadn't come up yet. You can use OR values here too if you'd like. As before, you can also use subfields on "children" as well. 

Worth mentioning is that these are additions for our PageFinder engine which queries the database. We also have the lesser used in-memory selectors which don't yet support all of these, but I've put it on my to-do list. In-memory page finding selectors come into play if you are post-filtering pages that you have already loaded from the database into a PageArray. We like these to maintain some consistency with the database selectors when possible, so I'll likely have that working here soon. 

From this end, I'm also putting ~2 hours of work into the new Pages Snapshots module every day, with a lot of progress but also still a lot of ground to cover. Separately, I'm working on pulling more than 4 million articles out of an older proprietary legacy CMS for a newspaper organization and converting them to a standard XML format for import elsewhere. A lot of data conversion has to take place in terms of cleaning up markup for each article. ProcessWire is the tool that all of this is being done in, and I'm using a lot of $sanitizer methods as well as keeping HTML Purifier busy! Thanks for reading and have a great weekend! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, ryan said:

Support for matching children paths. This is a small one, but previously you couldn't do "children=/path/to/page" to match a page having the given child path. Though you could do "children=123" where 123 is the ID of the child page. It has been updated so that it can now support paths in addition to IDs, just as "parent" does.

Hi @ryan, many thanks for the additions, especially the status one will be used by me! ?

I want to ask if the support for matching children paths also works with multi language names, e.g. (/path/to/page/) resolves the same as the de path of the same page (/de/pfad/zur/seite/) ?

• Like 1

@ryan Thanks for clarification. I somehow mixed it up with the core page paths module in my mind: 

Enables page paths/urls to be queryable by selectors. Also offers potential for improved load performance. Builds an index at install (may take time on a large site). Currently supports only single languages sites.