Problem(s) updating Processwire

stanoliver

Hello community!

At the moment I am using pw version 3.0.148 and I have problems to update to newer versions.

Problem: After replacing the old wire folder with the new wire folder it seems like parts of css styles are not working anymore.

For example: I had two rows with each having 4 pictures side by side before the update

After updating I have eight rows with just containing one picture per row

The rest seems to work quite ok after updating. I also can see the new version number in the backend.

That happend when I tried to update to the latest version number of pw which was released that weekend.

The same problem occured in general when I tried to update to a version higher than 3.0.148 in the past too.

I also remember that problem occured around the first time when Ryan pointed out the last time updating to a new pw version would also need to set a new .htacess (from that point on I think htacess files were automatically generated when no htacess file was found for security reasons) file in place. At that time I faced the first time layout problems when trying updating pw.

PS I do not think it's a caching problem

Problem: After replacing the old wire folder with the new wire folder it seems like parts of css styles are not working anymore.

Is this on the front-end of the site, or in the admin? I'm assuming it's in the front, but just making sure ?

If you check your browsers dev tools, is there any clue about it? Is your CSS file loading correctly?

If not, what's the URL/path for the file, i.e. could it be something protected/blocked by the system?

Good morning @teppo! These problems are only appear at the front-end of the site.

Also I should have mentioned more explicit that I really think that the problems are somehow related to htacess file(s) wich are causing problems.

May you remember that @ryanmentioned 1-2 years ago updating to a new processwire version would require his new htacess file too. Ryan was explicitly mentioing it. At that point the trouble with my update problems started. I think the whole idea according to Ryan's post was (or still is) that if a htacess file is missing the later should get generated automaticly. At that time around two handful if not more htacess files got generated automaticly when I tried to update 1-2 years ago. At that time I could somehow get rid of that htacess files and everything seem to work fine until I wanted to update to a new version again. I did not change anything beside only replacing the wire folder.

In case I am not phantasizing with my htacess story I hope you understand my point with the htacess file.

Do you may know how I could kick out that mechanism (so that no htacess files get generated automaticly) because it only causes trouble in my installations?

I also could find Ryan's post again:

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.135/

Do you may know how I could kick out that mechanism (so that no htacess files get generated automaticly) because it only causes trouble in my installations?

ProcessWire will generate directory-specific .htaccess files automatically unless a) they already exist or b) it doesn't have write access to these directories.

While access restriction is what I'd recommend as a general best practice (in my opinion the system should never have write access to anywhere it isn't strictly necessary), that may require more tweaking than you're ready to go through. This leaves us with the first option.

You could achieve this by making sure that you have empty .htaccess files in following directories:

• /site/assets/
  • /site/assets/logs/
  • /site/assets/cache/
  • /site/assets/backups/
  • /site/templates/
  • /site/
  • /site/modules/

If the files are empty, they should not affect anything, so... problem solved ?

Note that the reason I was asking what the path of the file is is that if .htaccess files in question are blocking access to it, there's likely a reason for that — i.e. it's in a directory that isn't supposed to be directly accessible. It would be best to check where it is, and why it is there in case that turns out to the problem.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @teppo thanks for your help! I finally found out what was wrong. My logs showed "Error: Exception: Unrecognized operator: +" and then I realized I had some "example code snippet" which was not fully commented out the right way and therefore caused problems. Before the update processwire was probably ignoring that failure but the newer version may not.

• Like 1