Can removeHook() be used to skip one hook method when an event runs?

netcarver

Hello wonderful PW-philes,

I have a situation where I'd like to prevent system notifications from being stored when a self-registered user logs in or out (or fails to log in.) These events just clutter up the systemUser's notification list so I thought I'd add a hook early in the hook chain that works out if it's a self-registered user logging in and then just remove the System Notification module's hook by using removeHook().

Sure enough, I can find the target hook in the hooks returned by the system - and seemingly remove it from the hooks array - but the hook is still executed no matter how I call removeHook().  Here's the things I've tried in my hi-priority session::login hook that don't work...

$id = $this->findSystemNotificationLoginHook();
$event->removeHook($id);
$this->removeHook($id);
parent::removeHook($id);
$this->session->removeHook($id);
wire()->session->removeHook($id);

I've also tried targetting the actual instance by attaching to wire()->session->addHookAfter('login'...) as well - and tried doing addHookBefore().

I'm guessing that it's actually too late to remove the hook when I make the call as the hook array associated with this event is already being processed by PW and it's working its way through a local copy of the event's hooks.

Does anyone have a way of removing a later hook from an event-in-progress?  I can't just cancel the event as there may be other, lower priority hooks on the session::login event that I'm targetting.

Is it possible for the hook you want to skip to add a line of code that checks your conditions and act according to it?

I mean, not to interact with the hook chain from within other hooks but acting within the system notification hook: if self registered user login stop logging, else proceed as default. 

• Like 1