Multiple forms on one page: bad practice?

neophron

Hi there,

I received a design guide, where 3 different forms are placed on the same page. All of them have about 6–8 input fields and some radio buttons.The website is going to be from a doctor's office, specialized in geriatrics. So may be half of the website users, will be people above 70.

There are discussions, that more than 2 forms on one page is a bad practice. Till now I avoided two forms on one page, but now I have to find good reasons not to place more than one form on a page.

Do you have any experiences with multiple forms one one page?

16 hours ago, neophron said:

Do you have any experiences with multiple forms one one page?

You could always argue the fact that a high percentage of users will be browsing with a mobile device. Thus it would be very ugly, difficult to navigate, and occupy tons of screen space with all those forms.

Ideally there should probably several form fields followed by a 'NEXT' button that progresses to the next screen to continue with form entry?! And perhaps a progress bar or a pagination representing which page they are on and how many in total -  giving an indication of progress?!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 2:23 AM, OrganizedFellow said:

You could always argue the fact that a high percentage of users will be browsing with a mobile device. Thus it would be very ugly, difficult to navigate, and occupy tons of screen space with all those forms.

Ideally there should probably several form fields followed by a 'NEXT' button that progresses to the next screen to continue with form entry?! And perhaps a progress bar or a pagination representing which page they are on and how many in total -  giving an indication of progress?!

The designers wish is, that these three separate forms, should be placed in a »switcher« from Uikit (https://getuikit.com/docs/switcher).
I've never seen such stacking with different forms. No idea how they will behave inside the switcher. 

Are the 3 forms independent or you must fill one to access the other, I think it's not bad if contained within a switcher. We've created an app which required multi-forms prob 20 fields, Banking Apps forms depending on the Account type. 

@neophronYou already know this, I'm just thinkin' out loud.

There are three ways to present a segmented data entry interface:

1) A single form with all data fields displayed and editable at one time on the same page. Data is visually isolated usually by framing.
2) A single form with multiple sections (ie, viewable tabs or steps). For example, step 1 could be personal info (name, address, etc.), step 2 could be product customization, and step 3 could be payment information. Having data segmented like this implies a sequential entry method where the user must progress in order.
3) Separate forms for each section (obviously uniquely named) on the same page. Forms are again visually framed. This is random in that the user may complete none or more sections (forms) in any order. Personally, I don't care for this method. I only included it because it can be done (not that it should be done).

You say the 'designer' wants the form displayed in the uikit switcher. This sounds to me like they want the second option as they believe the data to be segmented and sequential. I believe Ryan has (or is working on) the Pro Forms module which handles a sequential method rather than coding it yourself. I remember seeing that topic from Ryan but I do not remember the status. Maybe someone can educate me of that status.

The first two presentation options are standard practice but depends entirely on the type of information you are trying to obtain and how you as the programmer want the user to perform. For example, an academic test application might be better suited for the sequential method. Since the user should be logged in prior to accessing the form(s) you already have the 'account' information to which the form data belongs. Saving the data from whichever presentation method is easily done to that account via ajax and/or a normal submit function.

<Off Topic>
I put designer in quotes above because it takes me back many years when I did instructional design work. It is not the designer's job to state how the interface should function. That is determined by you and the SME (subject matter expert). Now if that designer is also the SME, then you're good to go. Otherwise, you should provide the designer with the guidelines to create the necessary interface based off your needs analysis.
</Off Topic>

Anyway, I hope all this blabberin' helps you some way.

• Like 2

Hi guys,
thanks for your ideas, thoughts and blabbering ?.

May be you are familiar with the following situation: A customer with almost zero knowledge about web design/development needs a website and approaches a print designer, who knows a little bit more about the »web and stuff«. Like »in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king« the designer prepares a design with different functions and presents his ideas to the »two-eyed guy«, the web designer. 

In my case, I tried to convince the designer to use Figma instead of Indesign. But due to lack of time, I received Indesign files ?

Meanwhile I finally could convince the designer, to use a single form with different sections. So the headline of this thread is meanwhile obsolete. But nevertheless I think, that this conversation contain  some good stuff.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:10 AM, rick said:

Otherwise, you should provide the designer with the guidelines to create the necessary interface based off your needs analysis.

The thing is, that such guidelines could be integrated only in bigger projects with a bigger budget (here in Germany). And first you have to convince some persons, that usability and accessibility is meanwhile really important (https://www.deque.com/blog/accessibility-importance-for-seo/)

• Like 1