German Community Site/Blog/whatever

thomassausen

ha!

Mind you, if I start with German and work back to English, the site will be tiny!

As a sound engineer I did a lot of multi-lingual dubbing work. A huge amount of it was into French and German. 

Spoken, German is significantly longer than English (if translated nicely) and with the verb at the end of the sentence, the subject and object would often be reversed.

If you had a long sentence, not only was the German too long, but no longer made sense to the picture!

We had two particularly wonderful translators, however, that managed to produce perfect fits. Andreas Klatt and the renowned Wolf Kahler. Wolf's voice, especially, was wonderful - he could roll his Rs all the way to lunchtime and still be on the same word!

Very nice site, by the way - I forgot to mention that.

• Like 2

Nico, what should the link on the main site say? I typed "ProcessWire German Site" into Google Translate and it gave me "ProcessWire deutsche Website" -- is that right? Or what is the best phrase/words to use here?

Website is translated as "Webseite". Better would be "Deutsche Processwire Seite" (Sounds better) or "Processwire auf Deutsch" ("Processwire in German"). If you want to have Processwire at the beginning of the sentence it should be "Processwire: Deutsche Webseite"

Yes, "Deutsches Processwire" is not so comfortable to say. 

What ever you choose, it should survive being said out loud - strangely, it makes it easier to read in your head. (Old writer's trick)

We don't actually need a British English version, but if one were created it would probably be called ProcessWire UK. So you could always go for ProcessWire FDR - Is that ever used like that in Germany?

I am having a lot of fun rolling the R in Process in my head! Sounds cool...

Just thinking of all the badges on the back of cars when we went on holiday throughout Europe when I was a kid.

Spotting those from the same country as us GB. Mind you - they were easy to find. We were the ones driving on the wrong side of the road!

• Like 1

I believe he means Deutsch site, which loads fine for me.

That or he wants to populate douche.processwire.com? :D

Edited by Pete
Failed to correctly spell the German word for "German" - epic fail
  • Like 1

Hi,

if it could be of interest at some point for the however named 'Deutsche Seite': I've found a german translation of the GNU v.2 which is meant as an explanation to people not very familiar with english language, but not as a replacement of the original licence.

http://www.medien-kooperative.de/bibliothek_gnu_gpl_2_deutsch.html

• Like 1

Website is translated as "Webseite". Better would be "Deutsche Processwire Seite" (Sounds better

I beg to differ. First of all, I would set that “Processwire-Seite”, but I really prefer “Webseite” or “Website” (untranslated). (Honestly, I don't really care as long as it's not “Homepage”.)

• Like 1

In my opinion, this sentence sounds like a google translation from english to german:

Auf benutzerdefinierten Feldern basierend, mit einer einfach zu
nutzenden, jQuery-inspirierten API und einer beeindruckenden
Selektoren-Engine ist ProcessWire immer die richtige Wahl.

I'd choose a more active style of writing, for example:

Basierend auf benutzerdefinierten Feldern, einer einfachen jQuery-inspirierten API
sowie einer beeindruckenden Selektoren-Engine ist ProcessWire immer die richtige Wahl.

What do you guys think? ;)

• Like 3