Merge 2 separate websites on one hosting account with an add-on domain

Lars282

Hi all,

We currently have two websites (domain1.com and domain2.com) running on PW with 2 separate hosting accounts. As domain2.com is no longer regularly used (but should be kept online for reference), the plan is to move it as an add-on domain to the hosting of domain1.com (domain2.com will stay in used, but use a subfolder of domain1.com).

After setting up the add-on domain, can I just migrate the files of domain2.com (old PW 2.4) into the subfolder of domain1.com, and copy over the database? Or do I need to take extra steps to make sure that the two instances of PW do not interfere, e.g. in the config files?

Thanks a lot for your help and Best
Lars

As long as your virtual hosts file points each domain to the proper doc root, you should not have any issues moving domain2 over to the domain1 host and run it in a sub dir. I do this many times with clients. You may also need to update domain2 htaccess and config.

• Like 1

Thanks, rick. It seems I only had to update the config with the new DB details. Anything I could have missed in the htaccess?

Saw this part, but did not need to change anything:

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?it=$1 [L,QSA]
  # ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
  # 500 NOTE: If using VirtualDocumentRoot: comment out the one above and use this one instead.
  # ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
  # RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php?it=$1 [L,QSA]

• Like 1