Weekly update – 25 June 2021

ryan

I've got some core updates in progress but nothing major committed yet, so we'll save that for next week. But I wanted to briefly tell you about a module I'm working on here, which I plan to eventually put in core. I built it for some needs I've had here, but it will first be released in ProDrafts (so ProDrafts may start using its API), and in ProDevTools too, since it is also a developer tool. It's a snapshot versioning system for pages, but more of an API tool at this stage, kind of like the $pages API var, but for snapshots/versions of pages.

It lets you create a snapshot of any page, including its fields and files (including core fields, ProFields, 3rd party fields, repeaters, nested repeaters, table fields with a million rows, etc.). The snapshots can be restored at any later time. Snapshots may also be restored to a different page, such as a new or existing page. In this manner, a module like ProDrafts may be able to use it to manage draft versions even better than it currently can, or at least that's the plan. Though since it's an API tool, my hope is that when/if it winds up in the core, others may be able to use it for stuff we've not thought of yet too. 

The module is a little different than my previous attempts (like what's in ProDrafts now) in that it does most of its work directly at the database level (and file system level, where applicable), which enables it work without needing to know much about the Fieldtype. Currently it is fully functional, but I have a few less common cases to work out before it's ready for release. Once installed, every page includes a Snapshots fieldset, which can be located in the settings tab of the page editor, or a separate tab in the page editor (configurable). When installed, every page has one, so long as the user has the appropriate permissions. There's a screenshot of what it looks like in the page editor below, but it is very simple at this stage, basically just enough for testing purposes.

Every snapshot has a name that is unique on the page. You can overwrite a snapshot just by saving a snapshot with the same name on the same page. So you could for instance have a hook that creates a snapshot named "undo" right before a page is saved (in a Pages::saveReady hook), and in that way a module could add a basic undo capability to the page editor. This is just a simple example though. Thanks for reading, have a great weekend!

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 1.41.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 2.24.55 PM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

This sounds fantastic. A couple of our clients have been wishing for something like this and have tried using the clone/copy feature to try to achieve it, but then have issues such as the CkEditor fields pointing to the wrong page's files. Would this feature resolve that issue?

• Like 1

@thetuningspoon It doesn't have anything related to that, but that example you mentioned could easily be accommodated with a hook to Pages::clone. Or maybe it's something that should be built into FieldtypeTextarea’s link abstraction. 

@Ivan Gretsky Yes it definitely has the API for that sort of thing. 

@markus_blue_tomato Yes it does include the $page->meta() data by default, but you can specify an option to exclude it when/if you want to. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello @ryan!

It lets you create a snapshot of any page, including its fields and files (including core fields, ProFields, 3rd party fields, repeaters, nested repeaters, table fields with a million rows, etc.). The snapshots can be restored at any later time.

Could you say, when approximately this feature is going to be released? And will it be possible to generate automated snapshots, for example, for fast emergency revert of the page to the previous version? Thank you.