How to handle shipment tracking logs

cryostar

Hello everyone,

You know those enumerated list when checking your stuff?

1/21 10:45, parcel at sorting hub

1/22 07:50, parcel is out for delivery

What would be a good approach for this use case? I was thinking of adding children pages of shipping history under an order page but I’m not sure if that’s the way to go.

1 hour ago, cryostar said:

The answer is to use repeater fields instead, right?

In my opinion the best solution would be to use a ProFields Table field because it has less overhead than pages and everything is viewable inside a single compact inputfield.

But if you go with a page-based approach (which will be just fine if not 100% optimal) then your options are:

• Repeater
  • PageTable
  • Child pages

Another opinion: purchasing the ProFields bundle should be a no-brainer for any regular PW user. Any one of the Table, Repeater Matrix and Combo fieldtypes alone is worth the purchase price, but you get all of them, plus several more goodies which are just cherries on the top.

And as Ryan explained in the most recent blog post, the purchase of Pro modules is an important part of what keeps the ongoing development of PW viable. So it's a nice way to play a part in that. ?

• Like 5

I implemented that previously. In my experience, if you create a page for each event (using child pages or repeater) you will end up with hundreds of thousands of pages quickly, and in each one you will recorded only a minimum data. I think that is very inefficient. Maybe using ProTable is a better solution. I finally ended up using a textarea and saved one event in each line, when I was going to show the timeline I parsed it with regex, as well to update the tracking info this is very easy. Maybe if I do that again, I would avoid parsing every request for the tracking info by saving/reading/updating the events in JSON format.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 2:26 PM, Robin S said:

Another opinion: purchasing the ProFields bundle should be a no-brainer for any regular PW user.

I’ve taken your word for it and purchased ProFields for this project. To also show my support for the future of ProcessWire. ?

• Like 3