mod_rewrite not detected

wishbone

I'm still in the beginning of the install process. PW checks for compatibility. Though mod_rewrite is definitely enabled, it can't find it:

"Unable to determine if Apache mod_rewrite (required by ProcessWire) is installed. On some servers, we may not be able to detect it until your .htaccess file is place. Please click the 'check again' button at the bottom of this screen, if you haven't already."

I checked again, tested, and the hoster also says, mod_rewrite is always enabled. Anyway, I redirect already non-www Urls to www and such which works.

I don't want to continue with this issue...

(pw latest edition 3.0.165, PHP 7.4, MySQl 5.7. Shared hosting (strato).)

What happens when you try "Check again"? The same message, error 500 or something else? If error 500, there's probably something in .htaccess that your server doesn't like.

It might be worth installing a fresh .htaccess, just in case an error has crept in.

Other than that, if you've tried everything in the discussion mentioned above, this starts to go beyond my knowledge!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In case you tried all solutions found here and on the web, already using redirects that work... stop thinking about that message.

I've seen it so many times but never had an issue. As it's Strato... it will work. You might have to change RewriteBase (around line 172 in /.htaccess) but that's it.

The question @BillH asked regarding Check again and a possible error 500 is a good point.

• Like 1

thx everybody!

was my bad ?

I had the SetEnv deleted - thought it wouldn't be there any longer (thread is almost 10 years old ? ) when I searched for it (suggestion in above mentioned thread).

I'm happy to get help so easily!

btw: how can I flag this thread as solved?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wishbone said:

I had the SetEnv deleted

Where and how? Don't know what you mean with this.

As author of this thread you can either mark the thread or an answer as solution - I guess. I haven't seen it by now.
You could change the title to [SOLVED] ... as well. Which works fine here as well.

18 minutes ago, wishbone said:

I'm happy to get help so easily!

Hey... ProcessWire has the best community from all! 
And I've seen a lot.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wbmnfktr said:

you can either mark the thread or an answer as solution

couldn't find it so I 

change the title to [SOLVED]

**update** can't change the title...

Don't know what you mean with this.

With this section removed, PW doesn't detect mod_rewrite:

# 8B. Set an environment variable so the installer can detect that mod_rewrite is active.
  # -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # Note that some web hosts don't support this. If you get a (500) error, try commenting out this 
  # SetEnv line below. 

<IfModule mod_env.c>
    SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On
  </IfModule>

ProcessWire has the best community from all! 

Without this help, a person like me wasn't able to use processwire.

• Like 1

Regarding: SOLVED

That doesn't matter that much. Maybe @Pete can tell us where to mark a topic as SOLVED.

3 minutes ago, wishbone said:

With this section removed, PW doesn't detect mod_rewrite

Ok... I thought of a file of some kind the hosting company provides or such. Fine!

3 minutes ago, wishbone said:

Without this help, a person like me wasn't able to use processwire.

To be really honest here: ProcessWire works way easier and with less problems than WordPress even in regards to inital setups and installations - at least thats my experience for the last 6 years or so. But ok... yes... sometimes it can be difficult. ProcessWire isn't perfect by any means but at least there is more freedom in it (in my opinion).

Glad you still use ProcessWire, want to use ProcessWire and take part in this community.
You won't regret it!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wbmnfktr said:

ProcessWire isn't perfect

Oh? I thought it was just PERFECT ? and even for a non-developer with no php skills what so ever it opens all possibilities - but only with help. After encountering those very small initial problems I would have already left pw - without your help.

1 minute ago, wishbone said:

I thought it was just PERFECT

No... it's not perfect at all. Otherwise it would work with a NEURALINK from Elon Musk so I could do everything from a beach in Florida or a BBQ Steak House in Texas without even thinking about it. :D Jokes aside... it's damn near perfect for those that want control and freedom.

Your initial problems were problems for you (as mean as it sounds)... more experienced users would probably just start doing what they want to do and fix things later as they know it's not a real problem. And yes... I know how this might sound to you. But be sure to know that most of the powerusers here have seen all kinds of problems already and now how to deal with those - if necessary at all. 

Don't take my word for it. Look into the Showcase. Read through some other posts here (you will learn so much! As I did several years ago.)

• Like 1

you are so kind! 

OT:

I actually haven't done many pw-sites, the first 2013.

I would like more users to use PW, but for wordpress users, e.g., it's too difficult, unfortunately. But only 1 example: when it comes to split menues (submenu on a different place than main menu), almost any other cms fails. Of course, for more complex sites, e.g. with collecting of data according to a property, you need more.

Anyway, nowadays clients want sites only in this "bootstrap style"; so page builders are fame, and customers don't appreciate individual looks. That's my experience, at least.

Who needs processwire, then? </rhetorical question>

And yes, that's not a matter of the underlying system but of the templates. But all the popular CMSes come with such templates. 
Which is, probably, the biggest manko that keeps WP users off PW. 

I would like to see PW used more, it's, even for me, so beautiful!