Automatic maintenance of logs and exception files

Robin S

Hi @adrian,

Do you think that it would a good idea to add options for some automatic pruning and cleanup of the log files and exception HTML files that Tracy writes to /site/assets/logs/tracy/?

It doesn't occur to me to look in this folder very often for remote sites, but I see that error.log in particular has the potential to grow quite large.

For instance on one site I have around 50,000 lines in error.log, most of which relate to minor issues in an older version of Tracy itself...

"Undefined offset: 0 on line: 11 in Tracy Console Panel" (this seems to be resolved in newer versions because I'm not seeing it recently)

...or possibly relate to issues in the PW core...

"PHP Notice: Undefined index: path in .../wire/core/WireInput.php:985  @ https://mydomian.com//xmlrpc.php?rsd" (does this look like a core issue to you or is it related to Tracy error screens?)

So far I haven't had any real problems with either the size of the Tracy logs or the number of exception HTML files but if these have the potential to grow indefinitely then perhaps it could become a problem in some cases if users don't remember to check the Tracy logs directory.

If you decide it would be worthwhile to have options to automatically prune the Tracy logs then maybe it would make sense to have these logs conform to the file extension and delimiters used by the core PW logs, and that way you could make use of the prune methods in WireLog.

• Like 4