other CMSs

diogo

• 1 month later...

Another WP site I rewrote with Eleventy:

https://neptunbrigad.hu

It was more complex, I wrote many filters and image resize and optimization scripts, often duplicating PW functionalities. I still like how this system works, even though it requires a different mindset. For example you cannot resize images in the fly and optimize because that would result in a long build time (not to mention how to skip images that are already processed). So I first run the image processor scripts if I add a new image (which is in original size and quality) then I can continue developing in --serve mode. There are some extra steps like this but once these processes are set up it works like charm.

2 hours ago, tpr said:

with Eleventy

How does your client edit content with a static site generator like this? I mean: adding end editing images, adding new "posts" an editing them, etc... Does Eleventy supports these? I am asking this, because I have never used a static site generator. Is it only for developers or for clients too?

• Like 1

They pick up the phone and call me. I have sent them the admin account details but I' sure they have never been there ?
(not just this one but many others)

Of course if they would REALLY like to edit their site I could not use an SSG. Often the case is that they do like the idea to be able to manage the content. But when the time comes they realize it's work and it would require effort.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, szabesz said:

I mean: adding end editing images, adding new "posts" an editing them, etc...

Netlify (CMS) fills that space. Whenever someone edits the content it's kicking of the static site generator and replaces the old page with the newly generated one.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I was moving recently my sites made with Eleventy to Netlify (free plan) and I really like it. It's easier to deploy (just push to GitHub) and as a plus I have a version control which was not the case with my previous projects.

I noticed that my site scores higher on YSlow on GTMetrix so I went ahead and fixed the remaining issues it was complaining about. Previously I used no CDN so YSlow was always lagging behind the PageSpeed score. The result is 100/100, and not only the main indicators but all recommendations below them (it was 100/100 even if one or two recommendations were only 99%).

I know it's an overkill and it really doesn't add extra value to the site, but I was curious whether it is possible to reach such figures. Apparently is ? 

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/neptunbrigad.hu/ffOeMHHL

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, FrancisChung said:

Strapi looks like the most interesting one I could find. 
https://www.capterra.com.au/software/170599/strapi

Looks like ProcessWire 0.5 so it must be a good system currently being born! ? 

Speaking of learning JavaScript, I am not a fun of over-engineering common websites (which I solely deal with) so personally I have no incentive to learn any of these hype frameworks, instead I started to dive in into this mature gem: https://www.jsviews.com/

Anyway, I know that it is quite ok to earn a good living by developing in Angular, React, etc... if one has the nerve to survive the hell.js method, then why not?

Sorry for not being helpful, probably others have a better understanding of "modern" JS development.

4 hours ago, szabesz said:

am not a fun of over-engineering common websites (which I solely deal with) so personally I have no incentive to learn any of these hype frameworks

I was of kindred spirit like yourself regarding JS, but I think I've put it off as long as I could.

Not have skilled up on the latest JS technologies is now hurting my chances rather than helping in the roles I'm going for, so I haven't really got much of a choice in this matter.

4 hours ago, szabesz said:

if one has the nerve to survive the hell.js method

Hell exists everywhere in the dev world, but I agree ... JS Hell is a special kind of hell

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FrancisChung said:

Not have skilled up on the latest JS technologies is now hurting my chances

But in contrast to some modern fancy buzzword JS-framework developers out there you are still able to build websites that work.

Take those developers their frameworks and you end up with nothing. Had this experience a few times by now and it's frustrating.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 11:05 PM, wbmnfktr said:

you are still able to build websites that work

I was actually a financial systems developer before building my first website using Processwire. Actually, if it weren't for the community, I'd be in Sheeeeet creek.

I've been passed up a few times for some great jobs/contracts because I just lacked the requisite <Insert latest JS framework>, so I can't afford to put my head in the sand and ignore it any longer.

My opinion about JS (It's slightly better than my opinion about Donald Drumpf, POTUS) does not matter. If I want to stay in the game, I gotta play the game too.

Edited by FrancisChung
Spelling correction
  • Like 3

@FrancisChung Sure, we quite understand the situation, technology moving forward has ups-and-downs and if someone wants to work in a team then there is no choice but to follow the requirements. A team of good developers and a nice salary is worth the effort, of course.

It is just that most active ProcessWire forum members work solo or in a tiny team of a few devs, and while some of them has already posted about using Vue (for example), most of us do not use these frameworks. By the way, Vue.js looks to be the sanest of all but for most sites – developed by a freelancer or a small team even – Vue can still be a bit of an overkill. That is why I started using jsViews instead, as it is very versatile and requires only one JS file which covers all the "technical requirements". But this is off-topic because jsViews is not a CMS anyway, I know. Sorry for that.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, Christophe said:

Looks interesting, thanks for sharing! I put it on my todo list to take a closer look.

Interestingly, I have just recently set up a workflow based on CodeKit and its "Kit" file compiling capabilities (Kit == HTML + import features + variables) in order to craft my own site. I boosted the whole thing by also adding Fat-Free PHP to the mix. I use Beyond Compare for syncing to the server. All this is about producing "flat files". Since I also sprinkle PHP here-and-there, I actually invented my own Semi Flat File website approach ?

My whole setup is all about using desktop GUI apps, as opposed to (say) npm based cli stuff which can be quite unreliable at times (actually, unreliable too frequently to my liking).

All in all, what I like about Publii is that it is a "technically minded" / developer oriented solution, still, components are integrated as a desktop app, so there is no need to experience the pain of npm/webpack/and-similar as all the burden of such things are on the developers of Publiit, and not on the developer of the website(s).

After all, I'm a creative guy who likes to create, but I dislike dealing with fixing CLI tools, fighting incompatibility issues and such. That is why I chose ProcessWire in the first place, btw. ?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Kirby 3.5 is now released and the Blocks + Layout feature looks awesome. Something I still miss in ProcessWire. I know for Blocks we have the Repeater Matrix and you could use it for layouts too, but its not that intuitive in the back-end in my opinion. A module like the Layout feature of Kirby would be really awesome. ?

By the way, they have a really good marketing strategy in promoting their features. At least it is working for me. ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, AndZyk said:

Kirby 3.5 is now released and the Blocks + Layout feature looks awesome. Something I still miss in ProcessWire. I know for Blocks we have the Repeater Matrix and you could use it for layouts too, but its not that intuitive in the back-end in my opinion. A module like the Layout feature of Kirby would be really awesome. ?

I was curious and tested out the new Blocks + Layout feature of Kirby 3.5 and here is my brief experience:

The interface of the Layout feature is really nice and its fun to add or drag & drop blocks. If the Repeater Matrix would have such an interface, it could be a nice layout builder in ProcessWire.
Also it is possible to add custom settings for each row, which makes it possible to customize your layout more.
But currently it is not possible to switch the layout (f. e. from 3 columns to 4 columns). If you want to do this, you have to add a new row and drag & drop the blocks there.
Also you cannot add custom settings to each column. This feature is currently in development.

As for the blocks: You have a default set of blocks (Text, Image, Video etc.) which is nice and covers most of the content needs. Each block has its own snippet, similar to field templates. So you are free to customize the default blocks. Or you can create custom blocks with own fields. But you cannot see all fields of the custom blocks in the layout interface. To edit custom blocks you have to click on the block, which I think is ok in my opinion.

In my opinion the Blocks + Layout feature is cool, but has its limitations at the moment. It is a nice mix of layout builder and customization.

I wish the Repeater Matrix could be enhanced in this way. But I know that layout builder are no easy task. ?

• Like 3

@AndZyk

Here's a new fieldtype I have been working on for the past weeks. These draggable blocks are defined by developer using custom templates, and they are fully stylable. The module is quite far from being production ready, but I wanted to share this, since I think this might be something you're looking for ?  Proper teaser video will come after I reach the first milestone in development process.
409672428_Screenshotfrom2021-09-2511_55_35.thumb.png.12c78d292a697cc0f64609b4d22bcbc8.png

• Like 18

9 hours ago, AndZyk said:

Since @ryan doesn't seem to be interested in developing a layout builder solution,

@AndZyk, I don't think this is entirely accurate. Maybe things have changed since I last read the thread but below is the quote from @ryan with respect to his thoughts on a layout / page builder:  

On 2/12/2021 at 9:09 PM, ryan said:

Likely page builder support belongs in ProcessWire in some form or another, and ProcessWire can be an excellent platform for it. But the actual page builder needs to be designed and built by the people that have expertise in the tools needed to build it, and by the people that will actually use it. I think it should be a community collaboration. For anything needed to support this on the PHP side, count me in. I don't think I've got the background to "lead" the development of the page builder, but I do think I've got plenty to contribute to it. 

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/25129-weekly-update-–-12-february-2021/

So, it is not a matter of lack of interest but more about 'lack of expertise', albeit with willingness to support it on the PHP (ProcessWire) side ?. By the way, I could have offered to take lead on this but until a certain module is released (getting very close now! ?), I don't have much time for anything else ?.

• Like 8