Select drop down that lets you add new options without field access

DrQuincy

Just as the title says really: is there a field that basically acts like a normal Select Options field but instead of having to go into Fields to add options you can do it while you're editing the page — and this then propagates to any other template that uses this field.

I basically want to let the client add to Select Options but don't want to give them access to edit the field.

I know I could do it by page reference/repeater but I wondered if there was a way that 1. avoids the overheard of pages and 2. where options could be added while you're editing the page rather than having to go elsewhere.

I do have a license for ProFields but don't think there's anything there that does this.

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks.

11 hours ago, DrQuincy said:

I know I could do it by page reference/repeater but I wondered if there was a way that 1. avoids the overheard of pages

There's no overhead to pages that is worth worrying about. In my opinion Page Reference fields are a better choice than Select Options fields in 90% of cases - they're more powerful, flexible and future-proof. They're very easy to set up thanks to @adrian's wonderful Page Field Select Creator module. And they do what you're wanting out of the box - via the core "Allow new pages to be created from field?" setting, or via Page Field Edit Links if your referenced pages evolve to contain multiple fields and you want to fill those out as new pages/options are created. 

• Like 7

For anyone who is interested I did this with the normal Page Reference field the way @Robin S suggested.

I created a parent filter template and a child filter template (no template file and just the title field for both). I added a parent filter page and some child filters to the site tree. In the Input tab of the Page Reference field I checked Allow new pages to be created from field? Then under Selectable pages I set Parent to the page that uses the parent filter template and Template to the child filter template.

It now works exactly as I wanted it — so thanks! ?