Create an editor role for just one language

sebr

Hello

One of my customers needs to have his site translated by a publisher. He asks me if it is possible to create a role that could only edit the German version of the pages, without permission on the English version.

I haven't found any permission related to this need, but maybe it's possible from a hook?

Thank you for your help

It's possible using the native permission system by creating page-edit-lang-[language] permissions, i.e. both page-edit-lang-default and page-edit-lang-de (or however German language is named in this PW instance) and only giving page-edit-lang-de to your translators (your regular editors roles gets both). To prevent translators from changing non-multilanguage fields, you also need to create a page-edit-lang-none permission and assign that to the regular editor roles, but not the translator role. This blog post gives a good introduction to the underlying concept.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sebr
      Hi
      On Processwire 3.0.179
      Create a fieldtype image named "img_test" with option "Use custom fields" On the template "field-img_text" add a title field On a repeater matrix, add a new type with the field "img_test" Add the repeater matrix on basic-page Create a new page and add an image in the repeater matrix, in the field img_test and fill in the title field from the image field Save and reload : the title field from img_test in the repeater matrix is empty In older Processwire versions, the first time I saved this custom fields were not saved, but on the second one, yes.
      Any idea about it ? A bug or a bad setting ?
    • By donatas
      Hello,
      how would I do a multi-language website search with just a selector?
      I have many multi-lang fields and I want to do a search through all of them at once and through all of their language values.
      Is there a "selector way" of doing this? Maybe something like `title|title:de|title:it`? It seems I have seen this somewhere a long time ago but can't find in any documentation or forum search...
      Or the only way of doing it is by running separate searches for each language with output formatting off and then consolidating it all in one single results array?
      Because I still want to give users a result, even if it is in another language than current $user. Visitors mostly will be searching for specific terms that are very similar in all languages, but might be not used in one language version of a single page, for example. Or the user might not have switched language tohis prefered and did the search first, etc.. (many use cases in my situation)
      Example:
      $pages->find('title~='.$q) - maybe different operator is needed? /en/search/?q=visit = 1 results /it/search/?q=visit = 0 results Thanks for any advice!
    • By Noel Boss
      Hi everyone 🙌
      Is there a way to order the language tabs in the backend? Currently, they seem to be ordered based on the created date (or id?) …
      ( time passes … ⏰ 🚶‍♂️)
      Just answered my own question. One can reorder the languages in the page tree under admin » languages or directly in the DB » pages » template_id=54 » sord field.
      Anyone knows if there are side effects when moving the default language from sort 0 to somewhere higher?
    • By gerritvanaaken
      Wouldn’t it be cool to have whole repeater items (or even repeater matrix items) language-specific. Some of my clients do have pages that are 90% identical in German and English, but there are some sections that should not appear in one or another language. I attached a concept screenshot.
      Would something like this be possible with some simple backend hooks and "hidden checkbox fields"? Or is it way more complicated?

• By lecrackffm
      Hi everyone, 
      currently im developing a photographer portfolio-website.
      Since i deployed it to a live server the API creates a 0x0 version of the each image, which are then correctly downloaded by the browser. 
      (Instead of the appropriate image, specified in the CSS)
      However, this only happens for guests and other Users (non-superusers).
      Oddly, this only happens on the homepage. On all other pages, the Images are loaded correctly. I already checked the permissions in processwire and on the server. Afaik they are all correct, allthough i am not the biggest expert in that regard.
      Any help / ideas are highly appreciated 🙂