Weekly update – 9 April 2021

ryan

It's spring break here and my kids are going back to school next week after being out for more than a year. Since it's a break week, the weather is great, and it's also the last week of the year-long covid break from school, I've spent a little less time at the computer this week. I've focused on some smaller module projects rather than the core. More specifically: posted a major update and refactor of the TextformatterHannaCode module, and a completely rewritten TextformatterVideoEmbed module. While making these updates, I've also made note of and attempted to resolve any reported issues in the GitHub repositories. 

Next week, it's back to the core, with both issue resolutions and pull requests scheduled for upcoming versions. Next week I also get my 2nd shot of covid vaccine, and I'm told it may slow me down a bit for a day, but will be well worth it. I had a day of tiredness from the 1st shot, but it was greatly outweighed by feelings of gratitude and reduction of worry. I highly recommend it as soon as you can get it, if you haven't already.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, ryan said:

Next week I also get my 2nd shot of covid vaccine, and I'm told it may slow me down a bit for a day, but will be well worth it.

Lucky you! In slow vaccinating Austria we have a word for my little feeling called "Impfneid" which means some kind of "vaccination envy/jealousy" ;-D

• Haha 1

@markus_blue_tomato Sorry to hear that, I hope they have it available soon. I figured we'd be the last to get it here because the for-profit healthcare system in the US doesn't often lend itself well to public health, unless you are wealthy.  (Just getting a covid test was $400). Luckily it seems the vaccine isn't being handled by the healthcare companies, and it's free. My parents got their vaccine at an appliance store drive-through, my wife got hers at the grocery store, and I got mine at the office of some technology company in our town square. That might sound sketchy but they are all legitimate and it seems to be working well for once. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ryan said:

Next week I also get my 2nd shot of covid vaccine, and I'm told it may slow me down a bit for a day, but will be well worth it. I had a day of tiredness from the 1st shot, but it was greatly outweighed by feelings of gratitude and reduction of worry. I highly recommend it as soon as you can get it, if you haven't already.

As everyone working in IT should know, it's important to use effective antivirus systems. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Kiwi Chris said:

As everyone working in IT should know, it's important to use effective antivirus systems. ?

Windows defender? ..I am sorry, I shouldnt carry this thread to a place it didnt need to go. Thank you Ryan for working on PW and modules! 

• Like 1

@ryan I was pleasantly surprised to see updates for these when checking Processwire Upgrades module, which I would also love to see an update for removing older official repositories and adding support for Pro modules. I installed the updates on a site (well, uninstalled and reinstalled YouTube as per instructions). Great updates. It would be great if you could add social embeds to a separate module as I think YouTube embeds is perfect at what it does.

Glad to hear the vaccinations are going well there. I am not eligible yet in the UK due to age and good health but my family have all had either 1 or 2 jabs which is the main thing. 

Stay safe everybody.

• Like 1

@cb2004

Processwire Upgrades module, which I would also love to see an update for removing older official repositories

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "removing older official repositories". Can you expand on this?

It would be great if you could add social embeds to a separate module as I think YouTube embeds is perfect at what it does.

Which social embeds? I often use the MarkupSocialShareButtons module for this stuff. But if there are oembed providers for social links then a similar strategy would work. I know that Twitter has an oembed service, and Facebook apparently used to, but then killed it. I was originally thinking about expanding this module (or adding another) to support any oembed provider, except there is a TextformatterOEmbed module that apparently does this so thought I might try that one out first. 

Glad to hear the vaccinations are going well there. I am not eligible yet in the UK due to age and good health but my family have all had either 1 or 2 jabs which is the main thing. 

Within the last few weeks they opened it up to everyone here. Previously it was just people 65+ or with health conditions, etc. I think the vaccinations are going well for the people that want them (which seems to be the majority), but apparently there is still a portion of the population that doesn't want to get the vaccine, so that could keep the virus spreading and mutating as long as that remains the case.

1 hour ago, adrian said:

I assume @cb2004 is talking about these:

image.png.8e1e8933e1b6682994b0b1230036f3e2.png

Yes that's what I was talking about.

6 hours ago, ryan said:

Which social embeds? I often use the MarkupSocialShareButtons module for this stuff. But if there are oembed providers for social links then a similar strategy would work. I know that Twitter has an oembed service, and Facebook apparently used to, but then killed it. I was originally thinking about expanding this module (or adding another) to support any oembed provider, except there is a TextformatterOEmbed module that apparently does this so thought I might try that one out first. 

Not seen that module before but looks outdated now. I don't like using stale modules due to being bitten in the arse with other systems. Speaking of other systems, yes Facebook/Instagram now require an app/api route but all the other systems still implement it, you just have to take the extra step. Media embeds are one of the only things clients ask me for when migrating so felt like a good time to ask for it. 

Yes that's what I was talking about.

@cb2004 Got it. I'll put out an update to the ProcessWireUpgrade module this week.

Support for identifying the latest version of Pro modules is a function of the modules directory rather than the upgrades module. I've been meaning to do this, so thanks for the reminder. I have gone ahead and updated it so that it can now identify the latest versions of all Pro modules. Though I can't add support for download+install upgrades of Pro modules, as they are access controlled so there can't be public download URLs for these. I also think that in general it's always better to install or upgrade modules directly on the file system, as that prevents permissions problems (for when apache is not running as your user account), and makes it easier to troubleshoot and resolve issues when installing or upgrading modules. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ryan said:

I have gone ahead and updated it so that it can now identify the latest versions of all Pro modules.

This is great news, thanks Ryan! It really helps a lot as looking up new versions manually is very time consuming.