Can't change page template after use them

Matzn

Hi.

I use a fresh multilanguage site. I only change default language to german. Now i can't chang the page template after use this template for one page, although multiple use is permitted. Some ideas?

template_change_2.png

template_change_1.png

Make sure you haven't checked "Don't allow pages to change their template" on the Erweitert tab of your dummy template, and the user has page-template permissions.

If that doesn't solve it, it could also be a family restriction on the template used by the parent page.

15 minutes ago, BitPoet said:

Make sure you haven't checked "Don't allow pages to change their template" on the Erweitert tab of your dummy template, and the user has page-template permissions.

If that doesn't solve it, it could also be a family restriction on the template used by the parent page.

No, "Don't allow pages to change their template" is not checked. I'm the superuser and the parent page is home. I'm not sure what do you mean with family restriction by parent page?

Screenshot_2021-04-06 Template bearbeiten home • shopuniver com.png

I meant the "Zulässige(s) Template(s) für Unterseiten" part, but that's apparently not it either. Are there any family restrictions set for the other templates that prevent them from showing up in the list?

Ok, then I understood your family restrictions setting. No, in none template set family restrictions. I've already checked everything - what I know. If the template is unused i can change the page to them, but not if used for other page. I despair...?

What other changes did you make already?

Nothing special. Only add new fields to template and somthing in template output.

And another question... how did you change the default language to german? Just by removing/changing page name defaults from the homepage or are you using any hooks already?

No. That's the weird thing. I don't touch hooks or other settings. Language only change default backend settings. It's an (almost) new installation.

I think slowly it is due to php or something on the server. I've an other similar project. I will to compare this booth.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, in 3.0.210! Just was stopped by this error. Does anyone know if this bug has been fixed in Dev? I checked to see if I could find this in the issue tracker, but I couldn't. Maybe I used the wrong search terms. A downgrade to 7.4 is not an option, for security reasons.

7 hours ago, matjazp said:

@Lutz I think this is addressed in  https://github.com/processwire/processwire/commit/24fc229be563de0157ed18ee199dfab889286169 , but this was already fixed in 3.0.184 so I wonder if this is something new?

@matjazp No, eventually not new in the case I mentioned, that installation is on 3.0.165. But jom pointed to 3.0.210, so I don't know. However, this bug seems to be a bit obscure, since I couldn't found something special with the templates that didn't appear in the pulldown for changing templates. Every related configuration was double checked, and I also couldn't  found something special in the database records of these templates.

But when I was looking for a simple reason, before I found this thread, it becomes clear that this is not a problem regarding every page and every template, there were cases where it was possible to change the template. And it becomes even more interesting when I discovered that there was one template I always could change to--but couldn't found anything different in the relevant configuration of this template.

The next step was that I added a new template, just to test this out. And with this new template I couldn't replicate the error. So now I deleted a template I never could changed to and added it a second time. And the problem seems to be gone. Of course, there must be a reason for that, but I can't find what is going on, and I have no idea why it seems to work now, while we are still on 3.0.165 there, so without the fix you mentioned. BTW, thanks a lot for the link to this commit.

Update: I applied the fix for #1363, this seems to solve the issue. Thanks again, @matjazp!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...