Tools* – modules group for API only modules

Adam Kiss

My today's module ToolsTimeAgo sports also other function than only a tiny plugin.

I would also like other plugins that give web developers API funcionality - like this one - to be grouped under tools. Out of my head, I am preparing also YAML parser (although I have to select one yet), and also Excel exporter could be there, and many more things, that basically have no place in Administration, usually.

What do y'all think?

That's a good question. I would rather stick with "Markup" for this, but it doesn't generate markup for a format so it could be TextFormatter. I think Tools is too general. Everything is a "tool".

• Like 1

But then again TextFormatter is slapped on text areas/inputs and is a pass-through for formatted text (automagically from PW)

This is only a mixture of functions/libraries packaged neatly as a module programmer might use while working in the 'model' mode :).

Not sure, but TextFormatters probably can be used through API too?

Yeah, every TextFormatter is a Tool/Lib. Not every Tool/Lib is textformatter though.

I would vote for a group named "Helpers" for such modules, that provide functions that may be used by other modules or provide API-additions.

Hm, doesn't it sound too small? Like "HelperExcel", Export to excel - that's more then only one-function helper, that's basically whole behemoth class wrapped as PW module.

For modules that add something to the API or are intended for API use, I agree with Adam that "Lib" would be a good prefix, but "Api" might be even better. In terms of the module directory, we'd probably call the category "API Extensions" or "API Tools". 

For modules that add something to the API or are intended for API use, I agree with Adam that "Lib" would be a good prefix, but "Api" might be even better. In terms of the module directory, we'd probably call the category "API Extensions" or "API Tools". 

Woohoo!

Re:API;

What I meant is that you interact with these modules with pure PHP, and you use them for non-PW tasks (or subtasks, like formatting time, importing different format, exporting to different formats, etc.). Api* would be good for something that extends PW API itself maybe?

What I meant is that you interact with these modules with pure PHP, and you use them for non-PW tasks (or subtasks, like formatting time, importing different format, exporting to different formats, etc.). Api* would be good for something that extends PW API itself maybe?

I tend to think of the tools that I use in ProcessWire as part of the overall API for the site even if they aren't part of the PW API. But you may be right, and Lib might be better for stuff that isn't actually extending or connected to the PW API.