PW 3.0.175 – Core updates: new DB scalability feature

This is great @ryan - Quick question. 

Digital Oceon doesn't automatically balance between all the read only nodes as RDS does. 

Is it possible or is it on the roadmap to allow adding multiple nodes in PW and PW distributes between that list of nodes. 

Could be as simple as an array of dbReaders, with PW randomly selecting from the array for each read request. Or round robin. 

That would allow it to be much more flexible setup and support self hosting read replicas for example. 

Otherwise fantastic work this is great. 

• Like 5

@markus_blue_tomato Great, glad to hear it's working well!

@StanLindsey This would be very simple to add, I'll plan to add it this week. Question: would just an array of DB hosts be adequate, or would it need separate configuration (host plus db name, user, pass, port, etc.) for each of the readonly db hosts?

• Like 5

On 4/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, StanLindsey said:

This is great @ryan - Quick question. 

Digital Oceon doesn't automatically balance between all the read only nodes as RDS does. 

Is it possible or is it on the roadmap to allow adding multiple nodes in PW and PW distributes between that list of nodes. 

Could be as simple as an array of dbReaders, with PW randomly selecting from the array for each read request. Or round robin. 

That would allow it to be much more flexible setup and support self hosting read replicas for example. 

Otherwise fantastic work this is great. 

Oh, good to know. Currently I have one Read/Write Node (for the Admin) and one Read-Only Node for the Frontend.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, ryan said:

@markus_blue_tomato Great, glad to hear it's working well!

@StanLindsey This would be very simple to add, I'll plan to add it this week. Question: would just an array of DB hosts be adequate, or would it need separate configuration (host plus db name, user, pass, port, etc.) for each of the readonly db hosts?

I think it's best if each have seperate configuration but work the way this initial release works where they fall back to the primary config. 

In many cases dB names and users etc will be the same, but I can totally see cases where they will be different. 

It would be a huge help!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:20 AM, StanLindsey said:

This is such a crazy good suggestion. Thank you!